Accidental first cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morca007

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been planning to start homebrewing my own beer and cider for the past month now, and have been waiting until term is over to go home and get the equipment, start, and so on.

In the meantime, I bought myself some apple cider just to drink by itself. Unfortunately, there was no room in my fridge for it, so into the closet it went. When I checked it a few days later, it was swollen and fizzy. Of course, I was shocked, I had had a sip two days before and noticed nothing.
Now, since then, I have been cautiously observing it and letting off pressure twice a day since I'm worried about it bursting the flimsy plastic top.

I notice a large amount of sediment on the bottom, and some foam/brown matter on the top.

(terrible quality pictures)-
spa0806ol4.jpg

So, despite it being flash pasteurized, is it fermenting? And if so, will it be drinkable at some point? Again, if so, what should I be doing with it?

Thanks for your help. Next time, it'll be planned. ;)

yeah it's fermenting, but what is doing the job is questionable. wild yeast, bacteria, who knows. Maybe someone can pipe up with if it's safe to drink, I have to say no.

You could like I used to back in the day of chemical expirmentation.

Wait for another couple weeks or until it quits fermenting. Drink a small glass. wait an hour. If no ill effects, drink a bigger glass. wait another hour. If you aren't puking by then, drink the jug and catch a buzz:cross:

I have a relative who owns an apple orchard, and his method for cider is to take a couple of gallon jugs, poor a little bit off the top of each, poke holes into the tops, and then put them in a dark corner for a few months. No ill effects over the 50 odd years he has been doing it. The foam at the top and the sediment at the bottom is natural.

Interestingly, the first time I tried hard apple cider was at church and I was about 13. I was thirsty and grabbed some apple juice from a fridge. Turns out it was leftover from a kids function a couple of months prior. Tasted great. Gave me a little buzz too. I would cast my vote in favor of the try a little bit, then try a little bit more method. Yee Haw. :ban:

Yup it's fermenting, the 'foam' at the top is krausen, it should fall away in a few more days, then you'll want to wait at least a month before doing anything with it... your best bet for the moment would be to take the cap off, and secure a balloon on top... let the balloon fill up, and when it deflates itself a month or so from now, it will be OK to drink... it would be better if you could (after that first month) rack it into a glass bottle and let it sit for another few months to age, but it will at least be drinkable after that first month...

Adolphus79 said:
Yup it's fermenting, the 'foam' at the top is krausen, it should fall away in a few more days, then you'll want to wait at least a month before doing anything with it... your best bet for the moment would be to take the cap off, and secure a balloon on top... let the balloon fill up, and when it deflates itself a month or so from now, it will be OK to drink... it would be better if you could (after that first month) rack it into a glass bottle and let it sit for another few months to age, but it will at least be drinkable after that first month...

You could also loosen the cap enough so the gas can disipate as needed. Just keep it threaded slightly.

Wait until it clears. If is tastes good its ok to drink. Usually badly infected stuff is nasty. You can also hit it with camden tablets when you think its done, then let it gass itself out and then keep it sealed while you drink it up.

Well, my friend and I decided to sample it, planning on one cup. I think we may finish the jug.
Damn tasty.

Another question. The remainder that sat another week has cleared, and most of the krausen has fallen, but some white matter remains at the top. It looks almost fibrous. The cider smells absolutely foul, I think it's gone bad. :(

spa0819jf9.jpg

Latest posts

Back