Bucket Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulem

Reaction score
I am making Chardonnay from a kit and put it all in a plastic tub with a lid for primary fermentation. I have a carboy and airlock for the secondary. Is the tub going to be okay for the first week or so of fermentation? I just put it in yesterday, so it may not be too late to transfer it.

yes. I bought a wine kit for my mom for xmas and made an excellent Luna Bianca. The kit came with a 8 or 9 gallon plastic bucket and a glass carboy. We kept it in the plastic for the first 4 weeks before transferring to glass.

The plastic lid has an air lock, right?

No, my bucket does not have an airlock.
It is a simple tub with a snap-on lid.
Should I transfer it?

That's the only way I do it. Is open bucket fermentation. As long as your must and equipment are sterile. Everything will be okay. There is enough co2 created to create a barrier for protection. You will want to rack it into your carboy when the gravity is around 1.040 to 1.030 and place your airlock. I have yet to have any issues with this method.

I'm embarrassed to admit this.. most people use a towel to cover the bucket while fermenting this way before transfer. This is to help with vinegar flies and anything else that could land in it. I actually use pantyhose to cover the top of the bucket.
test.jpg
test1.jpg

Oxygen at initial fermentation can actually benefit yeast production.

loose lid on the bucket, stir a couple times a day for the first few days to keep oxygen in the must, transfer somewhere in the 1.020-1.040 range.

Back