columbus hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout yesterday and bought some Columbus hops to use for bittering. When I opened them, I was turned off by the smell. It reminded me of the first hops I opened a year or so ago that had gone bad. However, I read that Columbus has a pungent aroma, so this may have been normal. I was also turned off to the slightly yellow color of the hops. I decided to throw them away and fortunately I had some Pearle hops to use. I figured since bittering, it shouldn't matter too much. But, I definitely didn't want to chance ruining a beer.

So, is what I experienced hops gone bad, or is that sound like the characteristic of Columbus hops?

Columbus is sometimes called super-cascades and the smell is pungent. Slight yellowing of hops is not a problem, brown is.

Next time I try them, I will make sure they are ordered from a place where I know they are fresh and compare. I just couldn't get over the smell, though!

Back