Should I bottle this or dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KNOTSANE

Reaction score
I did a batch of Chocolate coffee stout about 8 or so months ago. I put it in the carboy in my spare bedroom where it has been. I got busy and lazy so I never got around to racking it on top of the coffee and bottling it up. My question is, is that long in the carboy a bad thing or not. I surely don't want to dump it, but I don't want to waste my time bottling it and have it suck. Have any of you been in this situation?

What's it taste like? It could be the best beer you ever made? Or it could be vinegar. We can't tell you, we're not able to psychically taste what's in your fermenter. Only you can taste it, and make that decision. Thinking even about throwing it out without bothering to taste it is plain silly.

Stouts love age. It'll probably be fantastic. And +1 to what Revvy said... why would you even consider throwing it out without at least taking a sip??? Iit won't hurt you.

Yeah, secondarying a stout for several months is nothing special. That's the point of a secondary, to bulk age a beer.

Well this is still sitting in the primary. Guess I will give it a taste then hopefully bottle them up and enjoy.

Well this is still sitting in the primary. Guess I will give it a taste then hopefully bottle them up and enjoy.

I've done 6 months in primary twice and the beers were fine. In fact one of my brew buddy's is a bjcp judge and one of his favorite beers of mine is one of those two. If there were flaws he would have pointed them out to me.

If it tastes good, which I bet it will, you can just use the fact it sat around for a while as a way to impress your friends. "This is my aged chocolate coffee stout... been aging for oooooh about 8 months now.:D)

Back