What air fittings do you guys use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I'm finishing up building my collar and I was just about to put my first beer into my keg and let it sit on CO2 for 3 weeks. I went to hook up my regulator line onto the air in disconnect. I noticed the regulator is 5/16" and my disconnects are 1/4". I have two options, I can keep the fittings and get a 5/16" to 1/4" fitting. Or I can replace the disconnect fittings to 5/16"

What is my better option or are both ok to do?

If you are talking about a 5/16" barb fitting and you have 1/4" air hose, you can probably just run hot water over the end of the hose to soften it up a little and then force it onto the barb. Works like a charm.

I probably wouldn't try to make a 5/16 ID hose work on a 1/4" barb, though - too big a chance for a leak.

If you are talking about a 5/16" barb fitting and you have 1/4" air hose, you can probably just run hot water over the end of the hose to soften it up a little and then force it onto the barb. Works like a charm.

I probably wouldn't try to make a 5/16 ID hose work on a 1/4" barb, though - too big a chance for a leak.

I was going to try that but I figured it was too small of a hose. I'll try now though.

What I was going to do is get an inch or so of 5/16" line and a converter fitting from 5/16" to 1/4" so I could put 5/16" hose from the reg and then it converts to 1/4" hose for my disconnects.

I was going to try that but I figured it was too small of a hose. I'll try now though.

What I was going to do is get an inch or so of 5/16" line and a converter fitting from 5/16" to 1/4" so I could put 5/16" hose from the reg and then it converts to 1/4" hose for my disconnects.

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Another weak point in the system.
Do it right and get another connector. They are only $5.
Better than risking having a leak down the road. $5 vs $20 to refill your tank. A little insurance never hurt.

Should I go all 1/4" or all 5/16"?

I can either go all 5/16" by replacing my disconnect fittings. Or I can go all 1/4" by getting a new nipple fitting at the end of my regulator.

Should I go all 1/4" or all 5/16"?

I can either go all 5/16" by replacing my disconnect fittings. Or I can go all 1/4" by getting a new nipple fitting at the end of my regulator.

Mine are all 5/16". I would think bigger is better, up to a certain point, for Gas delivery. But that is just my opinion.

Back