Saving Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
Stupid question here.
With a conical fermenter i have me told it is easier to harvest the yeast.

Is it more of a pain than its worth to harvest yeast from a carboy?

I am currently using us 05 like 2.50 a packet. I know its not a huge exspence, But if all it takes is a little time and a few $$$ to harvest yeast to reuse in the next batch it would be worth it... Wouldnt have to mail order yeast or if i run out and want to brew, Pay the 5.50 price at the one store in town that has brewers yeast.

Thanks

You will have to try it and see if you find it more work than what you get out of it. Dry yeast is pretty cheap but if you enjoy he process what the heck. :)
Here is a good thread on how to wash yeast.

Question for ya.

Do you only wash yeast from the primary, Or can you wash after you crash the secondary?

Last time i did a secondary i noticed a thin layer of yeast...Would that be enough yeast or is it better to just stick with the primary?

Okay i have washed the yeast like the artical said.... SUPER EASY!!! Hate waiting for water to boill so i had a beer :ban:

One question tho.

I see all the liquid and at the bottom is the white part...Which i am guessing is the yeast.

I assume i drain off the liquid, when transfering beer from kettle to a carboy just fill the jar up...Swirl it around and bingo done?

Just wanted to make sure cause the guy who had the pic's said he was going to add 2 masson jars but after looking at the slurry figured 1 would be more than enough....

* i am sorry i dont remeber the guy who had the artical...Whoever he was your awsome!! :rockin: * Thanks again

Okay i have washed the yeast like the artical said.... SUPER EASY!!! Hate waiting for water to boill so i had a beer :ban:

One question tho.

I see all the liquid and at the bottom is the white part...Which i am guessing is the yeast.

I assume i drain off the liquid, when transfering beer from kettle to a carboy just fill the jar up...Swirl it around and bingo done?

Just wanted to make sure cause the guy who had the pic's said he was going to add 2 masson jars but after looking at the slurry figured 1 would be more than enough....

* i am sorry i dont remeber the guy who had the artical...Whoever he was your awsome!! :rockin: * Thanks again
One jar will be surely enough for a 5 gallon batch. I would drain off most of the excess liquid as it settle and then when you are ready to pitch just add some wort, shake it up and pitch.

Sometimes it's easy to just save 1 jar of sludge. If you have a growler or a small jug you don't have to kill yourself sanitizing 4 or 5 mason jars and lids, etc. I also rarely have enough of one style fermenting to necessitate the need for multiple vials of a particular strain. I will generally keep using a yeast until I no longer have a style for the yeast planned and toss it.

I have been using the same type of yeast us 05 for every beer.
Its worked like a champ and never had any problems.
So as easy as it is to wash yeast... I think i might just get a couple gallons of distilled water so i dont have to wait so long :mug: Even tho a beer would be good....Just not before you go to work.

I did 3 qt jars the first time....Was really intresting really.
First was barley a skim of trub..2nd had about double the trub. 3rd well dont bother.... Way to much trub i dont think it would be worth it.

I'm going to be getting my pumpkin ale off of the yeast in primary shortly. I typically harvest yeast, butthis is my first pumpkin. Will the spicing in the beer go along with the yeast when I wash or will it be left behind?

If I'm going to be stuck with all my beer tasting like pumpkin pie I'll just spring for fresh yeast.

Back