Using Super-KLEER K.C. in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian_g

Reaction score
I bought a pack of Super-KLEER and I'm debating whether to use it in beer. It says it's for wine and beer on the package. I was hoping that this would allow me to get my beer into bottles quicker. My main concern is that it might cause the yeast from carbonation to gel at the bottom of the bottles instead of pack. Has anyone used this product on beer before?

I tried it in one of my first batches and did not notice any difference.
Didn't seem to do much for clearing the beer.
Last 2 batches I used whirlflock and it worked great. The beer was crystal clear when I racked it to my bottling bucket.

Slightly OT, but I've meant to ask this question before about KC. IIRC, there's a warning about the product containing shellfish or something along those lines. Am I correct in assuming that if you were to add the KC to your brew, anyone with a shellfish allergy should refrain from drinking the brew???

Good question Blueline.

It just came up last week in a wine forum...Chitosan is a clarifying agent in many wine kits and it sounds like KC must use it too.
The discussion on the forum said that it doesn't trigger allergies in those allergic to shellfish. I think its because its the shellfish meat that people have an allergy to, and chitosan is derived from the shell.

but, i'm not a doctor, or a lawyer, or a biologist for that matter, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Interesting. I would've thought that any part of the shellfish would cause a reaction. But, I'm no doctor either!! I had been pondering the thought for a while now (about the allergic reaction, not being a doctor :) ) and it had prevented me from using it.... guess I'll use it and give it to a friend who has shellfish allergy, and standby with an epi-pen!! :)

Yes Super-KLEER does contain chitosan which is a derivative of shellfish. I'm not allergic to shellfish, so it doesn't affect me personally, but I would had to give wine to someone and have it cause an allergic reaction. I did some research on it and I'm comfortable using it. The stuff I read basically said that people who are allergic to shellfish are allergic to the proteins in the shellfish. The proteins are primary found in the meat, but chitosan comes from the shells. The shells are then processed in a way which would destroy any proteins left.
So my limited research suggests that it's relatively safe for people with shellfish allergies. That said I'm no doctor, and I encourage everybody to do their own research and / or talk to their doctor, especially if the allergy is severe.

Now does anyone know if Super-KLEER works in beer. We have one person who says he tried it and it didn't work. Anyone else try it?

Ok, I've decided to give it a try. I put the 1st packet in about an hour ago. I'm about to put the second pack in. The first pack has make the yeast form into larger particles, it looks like a snow globe inside my beer.

Interesting.... let us know how it works out, I may go ahead and use mine if you have positive results

One thing about that that likely won't make any difference to you at all is that shellfish are not Kosher. If you have any Jewish friends that keep Kosher, they can't enjoy any beer that uses this stuff.

My results were rather suprising. The beer was still appeared cloudy last night and there appeared to be a lot of stuff floating around, but I decided to rack it anyway. I racked just over 4 gals into the bottling bucked and the rest of it into a 1 gal jug. I was surprised at how clear the beer was. I'll re-rack the 1 gal jug again, but the stuff in the bottling bucket was crystal clear. I put some in a glass and held it up to the light, I saw nothing floating in it and no cloudiness. Also I didn't see anything come through the hose during siphoning. I'm not sure what I observed before racking. Perhaps just yeast stuck to the sides of the carboy? The beer tastes great too. Probably the best I've had this young.

My concern is that I wont have enough yeast for carbonation. I'll probably add a pack at bottling time.

Brian g, so how'd this work out? I just grabbed a pack at my LHBS and thought about trying it. I was about to use it and wondered if it left enough yeast in suspension for carbonation.

Brian g, so how'd this work out? I just grabbed a pack at my LHBS and thought about trying it. I was about to use it and wondered if it left enough yeast in suspension for carbonation.

I pitched more yeast on bottling day. I made a poor man's starter. I added the yeast to some sugar water. Just so that the yeast could become active without the shock of alcohol. It carbed fine, maybe a little slower then normal.

Honestly, I'm not really sure I liked it. Yes it did clear the beer, however, I think I can do as good of a job just by being patient. It's been my experience that clairifers in general do funny things to the yeast. The yeast tends to be more fluffy, or will stick to the inside of plastic hoses.

Hmm.. not sure what I want to do now. Dry yeast prices have shot up so I don't really want to pick up a pack just for bottling. I normally don't need/use fining agents such as Super Kleer or gelatin. Cold and time is all I use normally but I forgot to add Irish Moss to a blonde ale and it looks like a wheat ale.

I used a pack a couple of weeks ago in a strawberry blonde, on the suggestion of my LHBS. I had moved the beer to my bottling bucket and was not happy with the clarity and still had some fruit pulp in it. I added the super kleer waited 48 hrs and the beer was very clear and almost all the pulp had settled out. i tested a bottle last week (after 2 weeks conditioning) and had great carbonation it was probably to young but I saw no problems without adding more yeast.

yeah you shouldn't have to add more yeast. no fining agent beyond a very fine filter will remove all the yeast.

even using this in wine, we still have to sorbate and sulfite to help prevent any renewed fermentation, especially when backsweetening.

I'm not sure that adding the yeast was necessary. I spoke with the guy at my LHBS and he did say that you could get a beer so clear that carbonation would take a very long time. I think it probably would have carbed without the yeast, but it may have taken longer.

I stumbled on this thread while searching super-kleer.

I think another reason of the shellfish warning is because some faiths do not permit eating of shellfish. It is not Kosher.

I just tried super-kleer on a 5 gallon batch of patersbeir. I did not add any finings during the boil or during primary. The beer had been in primary for 1.5 wks and secondary for 2wks (bubbling had all but ceased for 2-3 days). After I added the first packet (kiesol 'sic') and almost immediately saw chunks forming....after an hour I added the chitosan (per manufactures instructions) and within 12 hrs a 1.5" clear layer formed on top of the beer and the rest of the beer was actually cloudier than before I had added any finings. I let the beer sit for 2 more days and it looked exactly the same. Then I decided to stir it with a sterilized racking cane....after another day it settled again with the same pattern (1.5" of clear beer and the rest was super cloudy). After reading this and other threads I decided to put my secondary carboy with the beer in it into my refrigerator. I am hoping that if I give it some time that it will settle out. I am not sure that it will though. I had considered adding another pkg of super-kleer but I think that will be the last thing I will try. Any and all advice is welcome....should I just keg it how it is? Try another finings? Wait? ect.... I wish I had never added super-kleer ....I never will again. I am planning on adding a whirlfloc tablet at the end of the boil to any beer that I want clear from now on.

Update: I let it sit another 1.5 weeks in the fridge to try to get it to clear....no luck. I kegged it and it tastes great but I think it would have actually been clearer if I had never added Super Kleer. I will not be using this product again on beer.

Tried Super-Kleer yesterday. First I transferred from primary to secondary and was very careful and left all the yeast behind. Added the first packet during the transfer. 4 hours later I noticed that the bottom of the carboy had an inch of yeast on it. wow. So I added the 2nd packet(didn't dilute with 1oz warm water as reccomended). 10 hours later the beer is much clearer. Very impressive except for some large booger looking things floating in the beer.

Sorry for bringing this back to life had a couple questions not fully answered.

beer has been in keg in fridge for a 2 days, added Chitosan yesterday at 3 PM (recommended from local brew shop owner) how long am i suppose to wait? he said give it a bit i asked 12 hours or a few days and he said yeah! So i put Chitosan in keg yesterday at 3 PM its now been 25 hours do i put some C02 on and blow out crap on bottom?? i see you guys are saying clear boogy on top i was onder impression crap sank to bottom and when i put C02 to keg it should blow out like 6-8 oz of sludge?!!!

cant really find straight forward directions on how to use Chitosan. any help is appreciated!!

thanks Everybody

Cheers!

Back