Funky smelling IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently brewed an IPA and after two days it smells like butthole.

Here’s what I used. ---------->The final volume was 6 gal.

Preboil:
3 gal. Water
½# Crystal 40
8 oz. Victory

Steeped until boiling began (about 20 minutes)

60:
1# of Munton’s light LME
3 oz. Cascade Pellets (6.3 AA)

30:
½ tsp. Irish Moss

15:
2 oz. whole cascade hops (homegrown so AA is unknown, these were of course dried)
½ tsp. Wyeast yeast nutrient

10:
9#’s of Munton’s light LME

I will be dry hopping this with 2 more oz’s of the home grown cascades

------------------------------------------------------

I brewed this outside and chilled it for about 20mins with an immersion chiller with the lid off. I then used a small 6in diameter mesh kitchen strainer (sanitized before use) to skim off most of the hop particles

I then pitched my yeast starter which was ½ gallon of WLP 099 which had been made 4 days prior.

------------------------------------------------------

I just racked it to a secondary only two days after brewing because the smell of it was stinking up my house. This seemed to somewhat fix the problem of the smell which I think was the yeast.

My question is this: Is my beer destined to be funked for good?

I've had some pretty strange smells from my primary, but have yet to experience "butthole". If you're brewing in a bidet, just hit the rinse button and this should take care of the problems.

In all seriousness, just let it ride man! Racking during (presumably) high krausen will do more to hurt the beer than any funkiness from the yeast. This beer is still probably a good 5-6 weeks from being drinkable, and a lot can go on with it between now and then. RDWHAHB

I've had some pretty strange smells from my primary, but have yet to experience "butthole". If you're brewing in a bidet, just hit the rinse button and this should take care of the problems.

In all seriousness, just let it ride man! Racking during (presumably) high krausen will do more to hurt the beer than any funkiness from the yeast. This beer is still probably a good 5-6 weeks from being drinkable, and a lot can go on with it between now and then. RDWHAHB

I had a blow off tube and so most of the krausen blew off, plus I didn't rack it until the remaining krausen fell back in. Does that change anything?

No worries about smell or yeast falling back..relax..drink a home brew..

Not familier with that yeast but several ale yeasts will produce bad smells...let finish and taste..best way to tell

Jay

I've never brewed with this yeast strain but different strains do produce different smells. Lager type yeasts definitely do have a rotten egg (or egg fart) smell to them during primary, comes from sulfur compounds produced during primary. My wife hates when I use lager yeasts for that reason.

Your beer will most likely be fine.

I thought for sure my blonde ale was ruined because after it was done fermenting and I was moving it to the secondary it smelled AWFUL. Like rotting eggs in dirty socks. Just terrible.

It turned out so well it might be my favorite batch yet. Definitely keep your beer, you might really surprise yourself when it's done.

Back