British Amber Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks: Anybody know this malt? I have a recipe to make Dogfish Indian Brown Ale and it calls for this malt. I looked for it around and haven't found it. Where/what is it OR what is a good substitute Thanks Charlie

'ho,
I needed this also for an ESB I made. In Ray Daniels book, he gives instructions how to make it. Just need to toast some plane ole 2 row. Cant remember the time or temp, but a google search would give you this info.

Ender said:
'ho,
I needed this also for an ESB I made. In Ray Daniels book, he gives instructions how to make it. Just need to toast some plane ole 2 row. Cant remember the time or temp, but a google search would give you this info.

Thanks, answer in 5 minutes. Love this site Charlie

Found this after a google w/ Daniels name and amber malt

....."Straight from the pages of "Brown Ale" by Ray Daniels and Jim Parker. This is a method recommended by Dr. John Harrison fom the Durden Park Beer Circle.

Procedure for Amber Malt.

1. Place pale ale malt to a depth of one-half inch in a foil-lined cooking pan. Retain a few kernels in a separate plate to use for comparison during roasting.
2. Cook in a oven for 45 minutes at 110c and then for 20 to 60 minutes at 150c.
3. After the first 20 minutes at 150c, cut several kernels in half to inspect the colour of the starch endosperm. For amber malt, the endosperm should be "light buff" in colour when finished. Continue heating at 150c until this colour is achieved, usually 45 to 50 minutes.

Procedure for Brown Malt.

Follow the procedure for amber malt. After the proper endosperm colour is achieved, raise the oven temperature to 180c and continue heating until the endosperm is a "full buff" or "about the colour of the paler types of wrapping paper".

Alternative procedure.

As an alternative to the previous two procedures, Randy Mosher recommends filling a pan to a depth of no more than one inch and then heating the kernels as follows: 180c for 20 to 30 minutes for amber malt and 230c for 30 to 40 minutes for brown malt.
As with the previous two procedures, evaluate the extent of roasting by periodically examining a cross section of several kernels...."

I'm going to check out this book.

Amber Malt at Midwest Brewing Supplies.

Also comes in 1, 5, and 10 pound bags. Just ordered from them on Sunday and got it today. It is also available off and on at my LHBS (Listermann's - their on-line store is showing that they are out right now).

Latest posts

Back