Belgian Dark Strong Ale The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mjap, just wait. If they are carbed at all it means they will fully carbonate given time. Check them again in 3 more weeks.

I'm on week 3 in bottles (natural carb) and it's still very under carbed. :/

I repitched with .5 pack of US 05 and added 5.5 oz priming sugar. My top fermentation temp was 79 so I think that should work out to a 3.2 carb level, but alas, no carb yet.

It's been conditioning in my room, which is about 68F, so I think that may be the problem. From what I understand, bottle conditioning should be done around 72-73 degrees.

I'm thinking of picking up a space heater and aiming it at them. Any input?

I also purged the head space of the bottles with CO2 from my beer gun (I used kegs as my "bottling bucket" since I never bought a bottling bucket.

They will probably take a couple of months to carb. The difference between 68 and 72F is really nothing to sweat.

This is why I force carb this beer in the keg, then use the beer gun to bottle...its foolproof.

They will probably take a couple of months to carb. The difference between 68 and 72F is really nothing to sweat.

This is why I force carb this beer in the keg, then use the beer gun to bottle...its foolproof.

Unfortunate -- I've got no problem waiting, but my buddy that I split the batch with will get annoyed. I normally force carb and beer gun most of my beers, but I figured I'd go natural carb since it's more appropriate for the style. Probably not a good beer to try your first natural carb on.

Screw that, Next batch is getting force carbed. :drunk:

I brewed up a batch of this and used East Coast Yeast Abbaye. After one week it reached FG of 1.006. It has an insanely eatery profile, but not in a bad way. It definitely compensates for the dryness. The best part was I only had to wrap my carboy in a blanket. When fermentation got to rocking the temp held at 84° for 3 days. Time to get this bad boy in the freezer for lagering.

I brewed up a batch of this and used East Coast Yeast Abbaye. After one week it reached FG of 1.006. It has an insanely eatery profile, but not in a bad way. It definitely compensates for the dryness. The best part was I only had to wrap my carboy in a blanket. When fermentation got to rocking the temp held at 84° for 3 days. Time to get this bad boy in the freezer for lagering.

Any way that you know of to contact ECY directly? We'd love to do some trials with their yeast.

meadowstream said:
The man who runs Princeton Homebrewing in Trenton, NJ, right?

I don't know if he owns/runs the store or if its just close to him and thus an easy location to deliver his product to.

Any way that you know of to contact ECY directly? We'd love to do some trials with their yeast.

Al Buck runs East Coast Yeast. Joe Bair runs Princeton Homebrew, which is one of the only distributors of ECY. It's currently a one-man operation done in spare time, so the strains typically sell out in minutes once posted to the Google group. The brett/bacteria strains sell out in seconds.

Suffice to say, it's tough to get a hold of.

You can call Joe and ask him about the ECY. I have seen various bottles of ECY in his fridge from time to time. I have stopped by before he has posted them on the google group and seen that he gets about 12-16 bottles of various kinds. Sometimes its one or two strains, others its 4 or 5. If I recall correctly he gets in whatever Al brings over. I doubt he would do some type of "wait list" for the ECY, but if you are out of the area it never hurts to ask.

Al Buck runs East Coast Yeast. Joe Bair runs Princeton Homebrew, which is one of the only distributors of ECY. It's currently a one-man operation done in spare time, so the strains typically sell out in minutes once posted to the Google group. The brett/bacteria strains sell out in seconds.

Suffice to say, it's tough to get a hold of.

Thanks g-star. The backgrounder is much appreciated.

Just before tasting a recent Westy clone we sat down for another taste trial of a Westvleteren Abt 12. Now that Belgianshp.com has the Abt 12 in stock most of the time we've stocked our break room chiller with it.

On this taste test we detected distinct Saaz. Still the clear sweet-bitter of Northern Brewer with a spiciness that reminds me of Brewers Gold, (possibly H. Mittelfrueh). Mouthfeel was lighter than usual and closer to St. Bernardus Abt12 (near exact). A little boozy on the backside with the expected understated non-sweet dried figs. No longer any detection of Pale malt whatsoever (have they gone to decocted Pills only?). I suppose batches will vary with the art even at St. Sixtus. I'd say after bottle re-fermentation/aging the FG came in closer to 1.011 than 1.012. A beautiful ale every time to be sure but this was an apparent change in recipe that all of us here noticed. Much preferred the former releases. Anyone else detect changes?

Date for reference (13.12.15):

Westy Date Cap.jpg

I don't have access to the Westy 12 here but today, I had St. Bernardus 12 on tap at the Yard House. Mother of all creatures big and small, the taste was really close to the New World recipe.

I let the end of the glass flatten-out to get somewhere near where mine is right now. Without question, they are spot on duplicates. Due to underpitching, mine is just a wee bit sweeter. The wife said "isn't this what you have in the garage?"

CSI, in the post above (#1137) which of the recipes are you referring to?

I don't have access to the Westy 12 here but today, I had St. Bernardus 12 on tap at the Yard House. Mother of all creatures big and small, the taste was really close to the New World recipe.

I let the end of the glass flatten-out to get somewhere near where mine is right now. Without question, they are spot on duplicates. Due to underpitching, mine is just a wee bit sweeter. The wife said "isn't this what you have in the garage?"

CSI, in the post above (#1137) which of the recipes are you referring to?

Congratulations on the success of your brew!

In answer, we were sitting around the table sharing 2 Westvleteren Abt 12's between four of us here at CSI...first comparing notes from previous Westy 12 taste tests and then on to the clone. In this case we were following it with the tasting of a young 017x (at 3 months). We all noted an absence of Pale malt compared to previous Westvleteren 12's. The test trial turned out to be more a comparison of Westy v. (previous) Westy.

Out of curiosity, how do you compare the St. Bernardus with the Westy 12?

[Based on past Westy taste comparisons]

We taste a notable difference in IBU's. The Westy has distinct bittering and hops while the SB12 has difficult to distinguish hops. The Westy 12 is slightly sweeter, and has more dried fruit in the nose and palate. Carbonation and body is very similar. The SB12 yeast is unknown.

Just before tasting a recent Westy clone we sat down for another taste trial of a Westvleteren Abt 12. Now that Belgianshp.com has the Abt 12 in stock most of the time we've stocked our break room chiller with it.

Wow, $40 a pop and the break room fridge is stocked? You guys hiring?

Brewed the new world last night using 1 each 180, 90 and 45. Curious to see how this turns out.

CSI, is your 17x the preferred recipe now, hands-down, best of the best?

Yes. I opened a 017x this past Saturday. It was just under 3 months in the bottle and was already better than any of the imports of the style...but to get it right the numbers have to come in on time.

I like to share our experiments with friends outside of the context of work. Like most of us I have a unique sounding board where my wife has a distinct dislike of anything beerish. Testing this ale with her outside of our company trials is like a chalk board scratch test but it has critic-style value. The best I've gotten over the years is "well, I don't hate it". Her response to the young 017x (10.2% ABV) was "Is this non-alcoholic?", and "This tastes like bread and plums". A day later she mentioned, "I can't stop thinking about that beer". Taste is subjective but in this case other responses have been similar also.

Over the course of 12+ months conditioning, the plum esters mature into more prune/fig flavors and aromas with a faint hint of vanilla.

CSI said:
Yes. I opened a 017x this past Saturday. It was just under 3 months in the bottle and was already better than any of the imports of the style...but to get it right the numbers have to come in on time.

Most of us like to share our experiments with friends. I have a unique sounding board where my wife has a distinct dislike of anything "beerish". Testing this ale with her outside of our company trials is like a chalk board scratch test but has critic-style value. The best I've gotten over the years is "well, I don't hate it". Her response to the young 017x was "Is this non-alcoholic?", (it is right at 10.2 ABV), and "This tastes like bread and plums". A day later she stated, "did you really make that beer? I can't stop thinking about it". Taste is subjective but less so when everyone who tastes it says something similar.

Over the course of 12+ months conditioning, the plum esters will mature into prune/fig flavors and aromas.

I have one of those wives also! Great go no go test for my experiments...

If a 151 single infusion mash is too high for this beer then 153 is definitely too high. You need high attenuation and your mash being extremely fermentable is a critical aspect of getting there.

FredTheNuke said:
Should someone opt for a single infusion mash would 153 for 60 mins be a good target?

I mashed at 151 and hit TG, but I definitely wouldn't go higher than that. In fact I would go lower.

Thanks! One more - if using the 017x recipe but kegging would you folks force carbonate or add the priming sugar and yeast to the keg?

Thanks! One more - if using the 017x recipe but kegging would you folks force carbonate or add the priming sugar and yeast to the keg?

We have always followed the traditional bottle refermentation/carbing of the Westy 12 clones. I think g_star and others have force carbed the Westy 12 so I'd defer to them.

Other than some of the latent esters produced in bottle refermentation and the differences in long-term bottle aging, force carbing should work fine.

I choose to force carb in the keg and then bottle with a beer gun b/c it is foolproof and I'm lazy. The beer still ages out nicely and changes over time this way, but that's hard to quantify directly vs. bottle conditioning.

I choose to force carb in the keg and then bottle with a beer gun b/c it is foolproof and I'm lazy. The beer still ages out nicely and changes over time this way, but that's hard to quantify directly vs. bottle conditioning.

CSI and g-star thank you for the info. Call me nutz but I'm going to try something a bit in the middle. Unfort I won't have results for another 18 months... I'm going to tie up six 5 gallon kegs in a constant West 12 clone rotation. I typically brew 15 gallon batches - so every time 3 are open I'll brew another 017x batch. They will be cellared at a constant temp of 52F. The question is force carb them or let them carb in the keg with some tasty yeast and sugar. Heck I may try 3 of each as the first round will be 2 batches (I'm sure I won't wait the entire year to drink the first 3...) I figure i'll end up in a rotation of making a 15 gallon batch every 6 months if they turn out as good as I'm expecting. I'll temporarily tie up 3 more kegs at the 6 month point to get the leapfrogging batches in sync. I figure it will age in an SS keg the same as a glass bottle given the proper temperatures.

I brewed the new world on Saturday and pitched a two liter starter on sunday morning. Was fermenting vigorously to the point of near blowoff this morning and self rose to 83. Now it's 78 and krausen dropped to three inches or so and bubbling much less . Any suggestions?

hbr2547 said:
I brewed the new world on Saturday and pitched a two liter starter on sunday morning. Was fermenting vigorously to the point of near blowoff this morning and self rose to 83. Now it's 78 and krausen dropped to three inches or so and bubbling much less . Any suggestions?

Recommendations on oxygenating and rep itching? Temp dropping quickly even though chamber temp at 80 plus

hbr2547 said:
Recommendations on oxygenating and rep itching? Temp dropping quickly even though chamber temp at 80 plus

My experience with this yeast is that 1st three days are vigorous then ere is a very steady fermentation for several days. Are you heating the chamber or counting on yeast to heat chamber?

meadowstream said:
My experience with this yeast is that 1st three days are vigorous then ere is a very steady fermentation for several days. Are you heating the chamber or counting on yeast to heat chamber?

The chamber has been at mid seventies and the internal temp was up to 83 when I left for work...now 76 and falling. I'm gonna bring temp of chamber up to rise internal

Back