Dumb noob mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
I rehydrated a pack of notty in 98F water and let er sit for about 20mins. Then I totally spaced and didn't adjust the yeast temp to my wort temp. I'm guessing that the yeast was maybe 20F warmer than my wort when I pitched. 24hrs later i have no sign of fermentation. How bad did I screw this up?

I am definitely not an expert BUT the first prob I see is that the water was 98*. Everything I have seen so far says to rehydrate in 70-80* water.
Also, getting the yeast down to wort temp provides less "shock" to the yeast but as long as the yeast is still alive (not rehydrated at too high a temp) it should start acting eventually, just may take awhile if they get a little shock from the temp difference. According to what I can find, yeast doesn't get critically injured until *120, you may get some off flavors from 100 but not sure.

Yeah the rehydrating temp is way high for this yeast. It is listed at 57-70 so 98 is definitely pushing it. There is a chance you could still be okay, give it another day and if there is still no activity you might pitch another packet.

mcbaumannerb said:
Yeah the rehydrating temp is way high for this yeast. It is listed at 57-70 so 98 is definitely pushing it. There is a chance you could still be okay, give it another day and if there is still no activity you might pitch another packet.

No no I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear with my problem... My wort was 60F and my rehydrated yeast was approx 80F. I didn't realize that I was supposed to add chilled wort to the rehydrated yeast to lower the yeast temp prior to pitching. Now I'm wondering if my yeast was too hot when I pitched. I hope that makes sense

No no I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear with my problem... My wort was 60F and my rehydrated yeast was approx 80F. I didn't realize that I was supposed to add chilled wort to the rehydrated yeast to lower the yeast temp prior to pitching. Now I'm wondering if my yeast was too hot when I pitched. I hope that makes sense

If the yeast was 80 then you should be okay. Notty is plenty happy at 60. But if the rehydrating water was at 98 when you added the yeast that could be a problem.

amandley said:
I am definitely not an expert BUT the first prob I see is that the water was 98*. Everything I have seen so far says to rehydrate in 70-80* water.
Also, getting the yeast down to wort temp provides less "shock" to the yeast but as long as the yeast is still alive (not rehydrated at too high a temp) it should start acting eventually, just may take awhile if they get a little shock from the temp difference. According to what I can find, yeast doesn't get critically injured until *120, you may get some off flavors from 100 but not sure.

That's so strange... The danstar packet specifies 86-95* and Palmer states 95-105* so I thought I was good at 98*.

first thing the yeast does is use up all that oxygen from when you aerated (you DID aerate, right?) to multiply. while this is happening, your airlock will be quiet.

when the oxygen is done, that's when fermentation starts, because that's what fermentation is: respiration in the absence of oxygen. now, instead of multiplying, the magical little critters start to pee alcohol and fart CO2

ain't it great?

our job as brewers is to make yeast happy and from your last post, it sounds like they're letting you know you did a good job. just give them time to do the other things AFTER they're done fermenting.

first thing the yeast does is use up all that oxygen from when you aerated (you DID aerate, right?) to multiply. while this is happening, your airlock will be quiet.

when the oxygen is done, that's when fermentation starts, because that's what fermentation is: respiration in the absence of oxygen. now, instead of multiplying, the magical little critters start to pee alcohol and fart CO2

ain't it great?

our job as brewers is to make yeast happy and from your last post, it sounds like they're letting you know you did a good job. just give them time to do the other things AFTER they're done fermenting.

Hey thanks GN! I started to worry b/c I hear stories from folks that claim they get activity after 4hrs, 6hrs, 12hrs, with notty... I did aerate very well. :mug:

I personally don't re hydrate my notty anymore. I just cool my wort and dump the packet in. Works like a charm.

YMMV...

I personally don't re hydrate my notty anymore. I just cool my wort and dump the packet in. Works like a charm.

YMMV...

Yeah, I hydrated, against the advice from LHBS hipster guy. In the future I'll just pitch dry with any brew of modest gravity. For higher gravity brews, I'll either do the whole rehydrate procedure or just pitch 2 packets dry.

Cheers!

Back