Tired of being "close"!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you suppose he just stepped away from HBT for a while? Not sure why anyone would do that, but it would explain the silence. Then again, yeast zombies and being trapped under fallen shelving is so much more likely...

As pellis007 said get a hydrometer. Someone has a tag line about psychic brewing that is a hoot.
They are cheap enough so if possible get 2. One to use and one for when that "Aw $hit" momment happens.
As to cloudiness - don't sweat the small stuff. You made it, enjoy it and once you find something you like start looking for ways to improve.
Taste and quality is paramount - clarity is nice to have but not needed.

Think about cloudiness of heffs (wheat beers) or dunklewiesen (dark wheat) - murky but mmm, mmm good!
PS - I am not a hop head so I can't speak for those - Stouts, Red or Amber ales and wheat are staples in my shack.

LOL...OP is MIA!!!! LMAO @ yeast zombies!!

Jlem, the thread does read like he was uber attentive and intended to get right back to us. People are just funnin' around. He left like 7 hours ago for that beer afterall! :p

LOL...OP is MIA!!!! LMAO @ yeast zombies!!

Jlem, the thread does read like he was uber attentive and intended to get right back to us. People are just funnin' around. He left like 7 hours ago for that beer afterall! :p

There's nothing wrong with him, it's New Years eve and his beer was good. He will wake up eventually.

Or he's lying dead in a pool of his own blood after barely touching the growler that exploded in his face.

Nah. Too dark...

Cheers! ;)

Tried to read all posts, but close is what most craft breweries get. They still over charge anyway. Rock on and make beer, you will get it. Good luck.

Or he's lying dead in a pool of his own blood after barely touching the growler that exploded in his face.

Nah. Too dark...

Cheers! ;)

Yeah, whutever. Wimpin out and cryin' cause his beer doesn't win after two months experience. Big deal. He"s either a brewer or he's not. He'll either shape up or ship out ( as my old DI often said).

Chinese - sixty in the cellar is kind of low for carbonating, but regardless if you've had a chance to pop one please let us know the results. The natives are getting restless.

Yeah, whutever. Wimpin out and cryin' cause his beer doesn't win after two months experience. Big deal. He"s either a brewer or he's not. He'll either shape up or ship out ( as my old DI often said).

Okay, come on, back off this guy... he tasted a few too many and the beer zombies got to him. I already drank the ones that hit him in the head, he'll come to soon.

sudbuster said:

Precisely...just stitch it up and get back in there...you're a homebrewer for christsakes!

Happy 2013 everyone!

Happy New Years everyone!
Dang yeast zombies? More stuff I have to worry about. Wheres my tin foil hat?

Try leaving your beer in your primary for a month and don't use a secondary. You will be amazed at how much clearer your beer will be. Try to cool it faster than you have been. If can cold crash do it for a few days before you bottle. Don't worry about your water if you are doing extract. If it is good enough to drink it is good enough for extract. As for the zombies use head shots to kill them.

Maybe he had a bad batch and drank some and it killed him!!!!! Oh the humanity!

(Sorry Revvy, I just had to!)

Relax, my good friends. Can't a guy get distracted by a sexy wife . . . New Years Eve . . . And a Barley Wine hangover?! I am pleased to report, however, that the bottled Houblonmonstre is very carbonated(and actually my clearest and best beer to date!). Two things come to mind: 1.) The beer that I used as the "sampler" was bottled with a cork. perhaps a no-no. 2.) I could have gotten that beer to the fridge before conditioning was complete. In any event, I've taken some good stuff from this thread. Hydrometer is next purchase, and I gotta just keep at it. Thanks, men.

Relax, my good friends. Can't a guy get distracted by a sexy wife . . . New Years Eve . . . And a Barley Wine hangover?! I am pleased to report, however, that the bottled Houblonmonstre is very carbonated(and actually my clearest and best beer to date!). Two things come to mind: 1.) The beer that I used as the "sampler" was bottled with a cork. perhaps a no-no. 2.) I could have gotten that beer to the fridge before conditioning was complete. In any event, I've taken some good stuff from this thread. Hydrometer is next purchase, and I gotta just keep at it. Thanks, men.

and grow a beard! or glue armpit hair to your face. you had these good folks worried the zombies got you!

Chinese said:

I will excuse you this once... For a good reason.

The more I think about it though. Your Houblonmostre is probably bad and you should ship it all to me for evaluation and disposal.

Always make sure conditioning is complete before you refrigerate. 3 weeks to condition, 1 week to settle and clarify.

I'm glad it turned out good.

So glad you are safe, just keeping trying and learning, you'll be a master in no time.

Snaps, I would love to share this with you. I am in a very rural setting and I am either surrounded by Bud Light drinkers or the infrequent hipster that drinks the occasional Heffe, or lighter Ale. No, my friend, I have few friends who are ready for tasty beers. I'm the weirdo in my circle. They put-up with me as much as I put-up with them. Guys give me a good, hoppy, session Ale recipe. I need to build a bridge for my fellas.

Chinese

Read this and take heed:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

It is set up for all of the "normal" methods of brewing. It is drinkable by all except the most hard-bitten Busch Light drinkers.

You don't need to read very far past the first page. If you try to read the whole thread, you will spend almost as much timie as it takes to make a batch.

Dynachrome- let me know about that Two Hearted clone. Seriously, if I could get something close to that I might cry.

Glad the properly bottled beer was well carbed and clear...and glad falling shelves and beer zombies didn't get you (as well as the unmentioned beer gnomes and beer bears)...though that would have been a better story :mug:

Although technically not a session beer, Two Hearted is my session beer. When you drink as many doubles and imperials as I do, it is hard to go much lighter than a Two Hearted. Robust flavor with a crisp lightness(relative) that allows for drinking 3-5 with little problem. Thanks for the recipes. They will be my next.

Aside from the other things mentioned in this thread I would prime by weight not volume. Like 1 ounce per gallon vs 2/3 cup. My 2 cents...

Chinese, be warned. If you bring your friends into the fold they'll drink all your beer. It's far better to let them keep swilling their Clydesdale wizz.

The biggest and best improvements in the quality of my beer came about with liquid yeast starters and temperature control during fermentation. If you're serious about brewing then temperature control is something that you should really look into if you are not already doing so.

Chinese said:
Snaps, I would love to share this with you. I am in a very rural setting and I am either surrounded by Bud Light drinkers or the infrequent hipster that drinks the occasional Heffe, or lighter Ale. No, my friend, I have few friends who are ready for tasty beers. I'm the weirdo in my circle. They put-up with me as much as I put-up with them. Guys give me a good, hoppy, session Ale recipe. I need to build a bridge for my fellas.

I've never been known to not accept shared beers. Sounds like we've got pretty similar surroundings.
If you ever want to do a bottle swap, I'm a huge fan of them. I love doing bottle swaps with recipes.

I brewed on 10/21. The recipe called for 5 oz of Magnum, Saaz, and Cascade hops, but I added an additional oz of Argentine Cascade(early and mid) and an additional oz of Centennial (late).

Sounds like you did OK with the Houblon, but be careful with the early hop additions. Even if you love hops, you can easily get way too bitter with an excess of bittering hops (especially a high-AA hop like Magnum). I learned that the hard way trying to make hoppy beers. Go crazy on your later additions and you'll be OK.

Back