Mini Fridge to fit 1/2bbl Sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
OK this project is a long ways off but to save a few bucks I'm going to start scouring the classifieds for a mini fridge right now.

I'm going to build a fermentation chamber from the fridge, and would like to be able to ferment the odd 10g batch in a 1/2bbl sanke. Can anyone tell me one/any/all mini refrigerators that will fit a 1/2nbl keg? I don't want to build a chamber or add extensions or stuff like that.

I'd personally look at small freezers; with a controller they end up being as efficient (and a chest freezer more so) and are bigger.

I just got a giant one for $75 on Craigslist.

I just built a Kegerator for a 5 gallon Cornelius keg in a Kenmore mini-fridge. I found the height and diameter of the keg first before I looked for a fridge. You should do the same. Also, determine where the coolant lines run. I realized, after I purchased my fridge, the lines ran through the freezer tray. Not the end of the world, it just changes the thermostat control; how fast and how cold it gets.

Long story short, look for a model with a flat bottom inside that fits the 1/2 sanke.

Hope this helps,

Hodges

ForumRunner_20121210_200456.jpg

ForumRunner_20121210_200526.jpg

bombcar said:
I'd personally look at small freezers; with a controller they end up being as efficient (and a chest freezer more so) and are bigger.

I just got a giant one for $75 on Craigslist.

I want a dorm style fridge so I can put it under my bar, and it's tucked away nice and neat.

Double-R said:
Or get a fridge, you'll need no temp controller

Fridge or freezer I'd still want temp control. Temps in my basement can range from 10*c to 25*c, depending on time of year and wether or not I use my wood stove. Temp control is a must.

bombcar said:
What are the dimensions of the 1/2 keg?

16 and 1/8" wide, 23 and 3/8" tall. I don't expect height to be the big problem. It's the width and finding a flat bottomed fridge I'd think.

Back