Hop bag sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbrewmeister

Reaction score
What is the best way to sanitize a hop bag before putting it in the fermenter for dry hoping? Should it just be soaked in star San? Also I assume it is ok to dry hop on the trub?

i boil my hop bags in water for a min or two. I also dry hop in a secondary, but some guys do dry hop in there primary container.

I would wait until the krausen drops down if that's what you mean by trub. You can always just toss the hops in loose w/o a bag, but if you must (and I have before) you can soak it in star san solution for a few minutes.

I usually have it precleaned already then use sanitizer then rinse and rinse in boiling water or just preclean(previously done already) sanitize rinse then boil.
Make shure you have some marbles( glass-sanitized so it sinks.Or just get some teaball dealy things. Happy Dry-hopping!

I didn't even think about it not sinking, I might use cleaned/sanitized aquarium pebbles since I do not have any marbles. Will hops without a bag sink? I was going to use the bag for clarity but I guess i could always cold crash before bottling.

I didn't even think about it not sinking, I might use cleaned/sanitized aquarium pebbles since I do not have any marbles. Will hops without a bag sink? I was going to use the bag for clarity but I guess i could always cold crash before bottling.
My experience has been that pellet hops break apart and sink and whole leaf hops float, with or without a bag. I put the bag in star san just like you said and you can definitely sanitize marbles or something to weigh it down.

I have some pics posted here:

http://www.brewgeeks.com/dry-hop.html

-TK

My experience is hop pellots float everywhere and with a small hop bag-particularly my small cotton bag just floated(never sunk) this is within around a week not much longer also.Ive also tried to wrap a nylon piece/rubberband around the auto siphon to filter the hops and thought i got bad oxidation because it bubbled through the tube alot,but turns out it caused 0 problems even over a long period of time drinking them-0 issues. It could have been just co2 but that was just a weird coincidence that made me paranoid at first.

Back