Need Keezer build Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
So i am ready to start building my keezer. I bought the 7.2 cuft freezer home depot had on sale last week, so my wife is letting me turn our old 5.ish cuft freezer that sits in a little nook of the kitchen into a keezer. I've got a few questions as I start to think about putting this together, I've got one or two issues I can see ahead of me, and i'm hoping you guys can help me out.

1. The hump is on the left side of the freezer, and i'm really wanting to put the taps on the left side also because of the spot the keezers going to be in. Because of the dimensions of the hump and freezer in general, i'm going to build a shelf on the non-hump side so that everything sits at the same level as the hump and i'll be able to fit three cornies in it. Are the shanks/nipples/beer lines gonna get in the way of the cornies being so high?

2. I plan on making the collar out of 1x10 so that i can fit three cornies in the keezer. By my conservative measurements that will give me 28.25 inches of height clearnace. Is that enough room for ball lock kegs? The kegs are 25 inches tall right? so is 3.25 inches above that enough for attachments and lines? If that's not enough room, I guess i can go with pin lock kegs which are shorter right? I was going to go with ball locks, because I might, might, might be able to fit a 4th keg in the cooler with ball locks, but would not be able to with pin locks.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a ton.

not sure about your first question, but for your second question, you'll def have enough space for ball locks with 28" of clearance.

The ball lock kegs I've been seeing at my LHBS are fatter and shorter than my cornies, so I don't know if they are all the same anymore?? I've found a 3 inch clearance above the keg works great for my fittings. Check the length of your shanks and fittings to see how far they will protrude into the usable volumve of the keezer. I built a coffin top for mine to keep the shanks and hoses out of the way of me knocking them when installing and removing kegs. Good luck with your build, any keezer is better than no keezer in my opinion!

germanicus81 said:
The ball lock kegs I've been seeing at my LHBS are fatter and shorter than my cornies, so I don't know if they are all the same anymore??[...]

Most likely you were looking at converted pin lock kegs...

Cheers!

Back