StarSan for lego disinfecting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonderbrink

Reaction score
Just bought a bunch of used legos from craigslist. Wife said we should clean them. Can I just soak them in StarSan and be done with it?

Mesh bag. Dishwasher. Done.

What he said. Easiest route. Make sure to select the heated dry cycle. You'll still get some residual water afterwards but much less than if you don't. Your wife's probably got a mesh bag she uses to wash her bras in. Paint strainers / grain bags are likely too tight of a knit.

Craigslist? Lame! You're not really a lego-er unless you extrude your own plastic and form your own legos. You should upgrade to all-extrusion.
-Jefe-

+1 on everyone else's suggestions:

1. Soak in hot oxyclean water in a large vessel
2. Mesh bag, dishwasher, hot dry setting.
(3.) If you plan on putting legos into your primary fermentation vessel - soak in starsan for one minute.

Let the children play with them as is and do their immune systems a favor for life!

+1 on everyone else's suggestions:

1. Soak in hot oxyclean water in a large vessel
2. Mesh bag, dishwasher, hot dry setting.
(3.) If you plan on putting legos into your primary fermentation vessel - soak in starsan for one minute.

Legos strike me as more of a 'add to secondary' adjunct.

Off topic, but had to show off my 2GB flash drive.

image-1967657709.jpg

Starsan is silly to use and wasteful. When it breaks down it becomes yeast food. Instead mix up some home made NRS (Will also work for brewing in a pinch to!) 5 gallons of water, 1oz of bleach mixed in and then mix in 1oz of distilled white vinager (not the other way around). Yes it works, yes it is safe.

I would NOT use the heated dry cycle, unless you want a bunch of melted legos in your dishwasher.

Never thought of it but I've washed a bunch of my kids plastic toys with the heated dry cycle before with no issue whatsoever. YMMV though.

What's with all the lego threads tonight? It's like we hit a homebrewer nerve or something... not that I'm complaining. I have always loved Legos!!!

JefeTheVol said:
Craigslist? Lame! You're not really a lego-er unless you extrude your own plastic and form your own legos. You should upgrade to all-extrusion.
-Jefe-

+1. Was going to post an A.L. (all Lego, as opposed to buying it in a boxed kit form) comment, but you beat me to it.

Maybe the LLBS (local Lego brick store) would be a good source for cleaning tips.

You don't need the heated dry cycle, just open the door a crack right after the dishwasher stops and the heat from the rinse cycle will allow most of the water to evaporate naturally drying what's inside.

And on a beer related note, you can use vinegar instead of other rinse aids in your dishwasher. It's cheaper and you can then run beer glasses through the dishwasher without compromising head retention.

Latest posts

Back