AG system in an APT/Condo advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDCore

Reaction score
Does anyone have one? I want to find a way to start building an all grain system within the next 6 months or so. Only issue is that I live in a 2 bedroom condo. So I am thinking maybe I should stick with Mini-Mash, Partials and Extracts until I can move... which who knows when that would be.

i've seen videos of people doing Brew in a bag method on the stove top, however it seems these were always gas stoves... i don't think i've seen it done on an electric stove...

do you have gas?

actually, i take it back, if you go in the "electric brewing" forums, there are people that do all grain, brew in a bag techniques on the stovetop with electric stove, i would suggest brew in a bag method in an apt or condo.. i'm sure you can work something out...

Your stove will be your biggest limiting factor. IF you can get a full boil going with 6-8 gallons of wort, you're golden for a full AG setup (cooler mash tun, etc.). If not, then you could opt to go with electric kettles (if the electrical in the place will support them). If you have a place where they allow you to have a grill, then you could get a propane burner for the boil. Use the stove to heat the mash/sparge volumes and boil on the burner.

OR get a friend/family member to host your brew sessions (that has a house). That would solve those issues for you.

I'm in a similar position. My LL doesn't want (without increasing the rent :mad:) brew/ferment here at home. SO, I brew/ferment at a buddy's place. I lucked out when that option presented itself. I simply lug my brew gear to his place and setup on the porch. He brews (BIAB) in the kitchen, while I go with the cooler mash tun out on the porch. We're typically done about the same time, or close enough. Plus, we get to talk about brewing with someone else while brewing. :rockin: The only down-side of this setup is that I'm restricted to brewing when his schedule allows. Luckily, that's about every two weeks (roughly).

If you can get into a similar situation, go for it. If you can store a good amount of your gear there, even better. I carry most of mine with me, simply to keep my options open for other brewing opportunities. :D

[edit] Since you can do gas (propane I assume) burner outside, that should solve the issues for you. Just get a 10 gallon cooler/MT and a kettle (or kettle and pot) for heating the mash and sparge volumes (you'll need something to catch the wort coming out of the MT). I originally used an 8 gallon aluminum kettle for the mash water heat and wort boil. I used a 5 gallon SS pot to heat up the sparge water. Get a good wort chiller and you're set.

I do AG in a 1br apt with an electric stove. It is a pain. I suggest a bayou classic 7gal pot with a burner over the electric stove if your leade allows it, a 10gal rubbermaid/igloo drink cooler, and an immersion chiller of some sort. Get the fittings for the cooler at bargain fittings and start from there. A second 3-5gal pot will also help for heating sparge water.

I live in an NYC apartment and do AG.

I used to have a whole basement in my old place for storage, so moving into here I had to make some decisions. These are the ones I can think of now:

Find out how much space you have for EVERYTHING and build to fit. Claim a closet, shelf unit, or under the bed. Buy/build storage. Having everything neat and out of the way helps. I lucked out and have a whole 8x10 Man Cave. Sure, it doubles as the spare bedroom, but that's only once in a while, and the guests don't have to get out of bed to reach the kegerator.

Plan your equipment. Measure everything. I was going to downgrade from a 10 gal MT to a 5 gal. Once I measured, I realized the 5 gallon was only 2" shorter and the diameter didn't really make a difference. So I kept the 10.

Brew pots that nest save storage as well. My 5 gallon pot fit pretty nicely in my 8 gallon. My 1 gallon measuring pitcher fit inside the 5.

I ferment in Corny kegs. Being able to use one size vessel for a couple of uses is key. Also, I can get 2 in my fermenatrix at once.
At one time I had 13 carboys, now I have only two for long term aging.

Parse down/don't buy it if you don't need it! I got rid of a bunch of stuff that I had 'In case I needed it!"

Don't buy half a pallet of grain. It does take up a LOT of space. Also, don't buy a 'couple' of pounds of hops at a time.

That's all I can think of right now. Maybe after my second cup of coffee I'll have more ideas.

B

I allgrain brew in a one bedroom apartment with an electric stove.

It's not that bad at all. Get two stock pots and you can just split it up between the two. Works great! I make pretty good beer :)

I will be trying an AG batch soon in a 1 bed apt w/ electric stove. Ill be running some tests with water on the stove to see what ill have to do. But I think its doable.

Back