Making Midas Touch - need substitute for Muscat grape concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Am working on a braggot-ish brew next time out - DFH's Midas Touch (BYO - Dogfish Head's Midas Touch: The Replicator).

I seem to require Muscat grape concentrate. Does anyone know if there's a similar grape juice that I can use that's available locally? I'm thinking Welch's white grape juice in particular.

Thanks!

I'm gonna say that the Welch's isn't going to get you what you are looking for. If you have a LHBS check with them to see if they sell concentrate. Or you can order it from any of the online HBS.

So, I have a can of the Alexander's Muscat here.... I can't find reasonably priced saffron. Where did you get yours?

Thanks guys for all your replies. I guess I'll just order online and suck up the shipping - which was why I was fixated on NB.

Haven't even looked into the saffron end of things yet - but we have plenty of Indian, Middle-Eastern import stores near us so I don't think 1/2 tsp will be much of an issue. I am sure that friends could also help us with that 1/2 tsp saffron.

I have the same question. Couldn't find any european shops that sold it and ordering from the US isn't really an option.

Here's a good thread on saffron, with iirc links and info on getting some...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/saffron-ale-62729/

Best bet, look at mexican, indian and asian groceries, they will have it much cheaper than anywhere else...gorocery stores usually carry it, as well as gourmet places, but since it is the most expensive spice on the planet...lesser "grades" are usually available in ethnic groceries, for A LOT LESS than the other places.

You'll usually find small plastic boxes of it
plast3.jpg

afed_2.JPG

And as someone who cooks with saffron a lot (I'm Spanish} if you steep the threads in water, you can actually get away with using less than most beer recipes call for...just make a tea with hot water and let is soak till it is darkm and add that when it calls for the threads...

Back