Choco/Coffee Stout Recipe Help Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
Hey guys, I live up in Canada in the great white north, and we have a significantly harder time getting our hands on any decent brewing ingredients up here. I want to make a Chocolate/Coffee Stout, preferably with no grain.

I am thinking of doing either 2 cans of coopers stout extract (LME), or 1 can of stout, 2Lbs of dark and 1lb of amber Dry malt. I am then going to start my boil, with a large chocolate bar (any recommendations on types?) tossed in with about 5-10 mins left in the boil, and after flameout add a half pot of coffee to the mix. Does anyone have opinions on this?

The coffee would be best added if the coffee was cold brewed-boiling already hot brewed coffee to beer could add a bit of a bitter kick. As for the chocolate, I think there would be a little oil that could mess with yer head retention. I would use cocoa, unsweetened, start with 4oz. In my last choco stout I used a whole 8oz can of sharfenberger and it came out chocolatey. I could have used a little less, but it is still drinkable. More so than the advertised BUD with drinkability...HA.

I just did a coffee stout a week or so ago... Went with a stock stout kit, added some lactose and a small amount of chocolate powder as well as added a pot of brewed and cooled coffee... Just sampled, err tested last night and it wasn't bad for a non carbed and greenest of green beers :)

and I would definitely go with powdered cocoa instead of a chocolate bar. I just had stones anniversary bitter chocolate stout.....magnificent!

Just a quick note, It is in bottles as of today! It is a bit bitter on the initial taste though, something I beleive may be from too much cocoa. Definitely not a hop bitterness. Its a good recipe but itll need some work. Thanks for your help guys!

He is one that I brewed up last year and have had many requests to brew more.

This is for 5 gallons.

7lb amber malt syrup
1.5lb amber malt dry
1lb crystal 120
.25lb black patent
.5 belgian chocolate
4oz after brewed espresso
2oz Hersey unsweetened chocolate
1 lb brown sugar

.5 oz cascade 60 min
.25 oz cascade 30 min
.25 oz fuggle 15 min