First mini mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my first mini mash. I tried the BYO Countertop method. I hit my temps pretty well. I added my LME alcohol booster to my wort and got very little foaming. Is this any indication of poor efficiency in my mashing?

I wouldn't imagine that there is any correlation between foam and efficiency. Either way you should be fine, on a countertop mini-mash ala BYO the fermentables are still almost entirely from LME, so your good to go even with a poor efficiency.

You can calculate your efficiency by using a formula if you know your volumes of pre and/or post boil worts and the amount and type of grains mashed plus the amounts of extract used and the gravity of either pre or post boil wort.

Mini-mashes are used to freshen and add speciality flavors to the brew. Foam / Hot break / cold break really has nothing to do with it.
It will turn out great,

Back