fizz explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie85017

Reaction score
Only one jar of the batch did this. What causes this? A friend had one of GT's do the same thing. Chia seeds everywhere.

But why one and no the other of the same batch? What could get in there to make this happen:?

At this point, there's no telling lol
Did you do any forensics work after the explosion? jk
Could be many things. There could have been a contaminant in that bottle where it wasn't sanitized properly. An undissolved chunk of sugar or overactive yeast glob. Maybe that was the only bottle with a good seal and all the others leaked just enough to not pop! I've heard horror stories of experiences with Chia seeds. Did you rehydrate the seeds properly before putting them in the bottle?
Those are the only things I can think of from my experience.

Are you the only one here who answers posts? Just wonderin'

I thought perhaps some little speck of something got in that one jar. A good testament to jar hygiene.

I make a lot of kombucha and store it in champagne bottles at room temperature for extended periods of time (which is generally not recommended!). I've only gotten fizz explosions when I added fruits during the 2nd fermentation. Somehow that seems to speed up the activity of the yeast.

Unless you provide us with some details about your brewing process, then there is no way of telling what happened in your case...

Aging KT in champagne bottles should not be a problem.

I have no experience carbonating in champagne bottles though. I would think the cork would blow before the bottle broke. Unless you wired it down.
I wouldn't try in a wine bottle but the champagne bottles should be thick enough.

Aging KT in champagne bottles should not be a problem.

I have no experience carbonating in champagne bottles though. I would think the cork would blow before the bottle broke. Unless you wired it down.
I wouldn't try in a wine bottle but the champagne bottles should be thick enough.

Indeed champagne bottles are quite thick and can hold a lot of fizz. Ordinary wine bottles are much thinner and should not be used for carbonating kombucha (or any other carbonated drink). A further advantage of champagne bottles is that you can easily cap them with a crown cap (just like the champagne producers do!). Although you don't easily get bottle bombs this way, you might still get a gusher...

Back