Muscadine mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emskevin

Reaction score
Hello!

I have 9 gallons of muscadine wine (jack keller's) recipe working in my secondaries... Things went so well that I went out and picked my vines again and came up with after squeezing 3 gallons of pure juice - I was thinking about making a muscadine honey mead/pyment ... My question is how much honey should I add to get to a good starting point... These grapes were very ripe so as is the juice is
8 pa
16 brix
I plan on using pure juice so my volume should be 3 gallons.

Thanks
Kevin

In case anybody does a search and finds this post - I made the muscadine pyment / mead and wow! A year later I opened the first bottle and it is amazing! You can buy muscadine wine but you cant find a muscadine pyment. Do yourself a favor - give it a try.

Thanks for the follow up post! Good to hear and will be something I give a try.

Well by all account, muscadines make a good, if slightly unusual tasting wine, so there's no reason why they shouldn't make a bloody good mead too.

I was reading something a while back about why some of the traditional grape varieties don't do so well in the SE of the US, certainly not like they do across the western side, but muscadines do very well, so why not.......

If we got the heat and humidity here, I'd certainly give them a try......

emskevin said:
In case anybody does a search and finds this post - I made the muscadine pyment / mead and wow! A year later I opened the first bottle and it is amazing! You can buy muscadine wine but you cant find a muscadine pyment. Do yourself a favor - give it a try.
What was your recipe if you don't mind me askin?

It's been awhile and I have moved away from my vines. The Pyment I made (and it was delicious) was based on a traditional muscadine wine recipe. I substituted local honey in place of sugar. I wanted to use locally sourced honey because I was thinking that it would be cool if the bees honey actually originated in part from my vines. Anyway I added honey until the SG was the standard starting point and let it go. I remember it didn't taste like much when it finished tough it had a honey smell but I waited. The next year i opened a bottle and it was amazing. Give a try - sorry for no recipe but try it by substituting the sugar.

I don't have muscadine grapes, I have mustang grapes. And the same thought occurred to me to throw in some honey instead of sugar for a pyment. I was concerned about acidity in flavor because these grapes are barely edible. Mine hasn't cooked out yet but with the dilution of the juice and the amount of honey I used, I don't really expect any problems.

i bet you could blend out those mustangs with a bit of concord concentrate and add the honey and it would make a nice payment blend.

I really didn't have time to plan it out. FIL showed up with them already picked and said, make something. Water honey yeast. we'll see what it tastes like, already have ideas to experiment when I rack and break off some smaller batches.

Back