Winter is gone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So what should I brew for this July 4th? Going to Wisconsin this summer. They all drink Miller Lite(not gonna try to clone it). What's a good hot summer beer that you like?

Maybe one of Northern Brewer's Lakefront Pro kits? We like Lakefront.

Gone for you, it's snowing here! You could always do something like a Kolsh, cream ale, or do you could still do a pils but make it more flavorful. Wheat beers are always good too, but I find that you have to keep the hops very low for the BMC crowd.

Across the pond...in the mitten. We like drinking founders all day IPA or any of the Shorts session pa's. Prolonged Enjoyment or Ale la reverend.

yea will have to keep it on the "light" ale side....but will look into all the beers you recommended above. You know a lot of those from Wisconsin do have a mild palate. A good wheat beer may work too

yea will have to keep it on the "light" ale side....but will look into all the beers you recommended above. You know a lot of those from Wisconsin do have a mild palate. A good wheat beer may work too

Yeah, Wisconsinites have no taste for good beer.
Some of the best microbreweries in the country are in Wisconsin, you know.

Yoop..I'll have to check out a few when I am there.any recommendations between Madison and Oshkosh?

I hope they don't use the yellow snow

A little out of the way, but check out the Stevens point, Wausau area. O'so, central waters, point brewery, red eye, bull falls. Point is 1.5 hours from Madison and 1 hour from Oshkosh.

As for beers to brew, maybe a cream ale or farmhouse ale? Lots of my family loves those. Maybe a spotted cow clone (visit new glaurus if you have a chance)

I would definately check out one of those three! Vintage has a really nice pub,great food, and some interesting beers on tap, they don't bottle so I guess that allows them to be more creative with their tap selection. Woodshed (wood ipa) is great if you stop there. Other favorites of mine are Oso's, Lakefront, and New glarus. Although I have not visited yet, have been told new glarus is really cool for a larger craft brewery-they are the big dog of north country

I'm in South Texas. We don't have anything I would call a winter. I'm getting ready to make a few batches of pale ale and hefes for summer. I will probably also make my Sour Mash Ale. It is great for a hot day--which we do get plenty of. I'm not looking forward to 110 deg days and 90 deg nights.

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
Yoop..I'll have to check out a few when I am there.any recommendations between Madison and Oshkosh?

I hope they don't use the yellow snow

Look for this book. I just got it from my wife for valentines day..

image-3800747340.jpg

We're going to use it as a road map for some road trips this summer...

Wisconsin has lots of great homebrewers, homebrew clubs, competitions, and craft breweries. It is awash with good beer.

I'm in South Texas. We don't have anything I would call a winter.

Yeah, but it sure was cold Friday night, wasn't it? I turned my furnace on.

Today it's sunny and a wee bit warmer, so we're taking out the neighbors boat and going fishing. We bought a sack of oysters last week, and we're still shucking them outside while listening to music. (We're on the coast).

I love "winter" in South Texas!!!!!

And, the beer selection at HEB isn't at all bad. I have two types of homebrew on tap, and am supplementing it with good commercials. One of my favorites is Real Ale Company's rye pale ale- that's a good one (and cheap!).

-17 Right now. My pipes were frozen this morning and my truck decided it is sleeping in today. Which sucks because I'm out of coffee.

-17 Right now. My pipes were frozen this morning and my truck decided it is sleeping in today. Which sucks because I'm out of coffee.

I thought of you (and the other HBT Wisconsin folks) today! My daughter told me it's cold today, and that it's been cold since Friday. I talked to my friend from Madison on Friday and he said he was pretty miserable so I think he's coming for a visit.

He's driven down every year, so I'm sure he's coming. He's awesome- he always brings Wisconsin beer (knows I LOVE Lakefront and New Glarus especially!) and cheese.

There are advantages to the weather down here. My wife and I went to dinner in late January and we ate on the restaurant's porch--there was no need for a jacket. Sitting on the porch, eating a steak and drinking a nitro-dispensed porter. That was a nice night. I've found we have the opposite active seasons down here. Up north, everyone hides inside during the winter and goes out to play in summer. Down here, we hide in the AC during the summer and come out to play in the "winter."

Occasionally my furnace kicks on at night, but some nights we still have the ceiling fan blowing. When I brew in my garage with the door open, I wear shorts and sandals even in January and February. The only complain is trying to keep fermentation temps down.

When I lived in Montana my truck had to be plugged in at night. Down here in South Texas, the heater and defroster in my truck doesn't even work and its no problem.

I thought of you (and the other HBT Wisconsin folks) today! My daughter told me it's cold today, and that it's been cold since Friday. I talked to my friend from Madison on Friday and he said he was pretty miserable so I think he's coming for a visit.

He's driven down every year, so I'm sure he's coming. He's awesome- he always brings Wisconsin beer (knows I LOVE Lakefront and New Glarus especially!) and cheese.

Thanks for thinking of us. We make a great 11 yr old cheddar, if you can get him to find you a block of that you will be heaven. Definitely better than any California cheese..I think those "happy cows" out there are way over rated! ;)

I'm in South Texas. We don't have anything I would call a winter. I'm getting ready to make a few batches of pale ale and hefes for summer. I will probably also make my Sour Mash Ale. It is great for a hot day--which we do get plenty of. I'm not looking forward to 110 deg days and 90 deg nights.

I kinda want to punch you in a bad place. I'm excited for 40F today.

I like a lighter beer when it's hot. Something I think I can drink all day and not get full from it. I'm brewing a dogfish midis touch clone I found on the recipes on hbt.com. The IBU is 12 so it's not really heavy. You might be able to convert some miller light buddies of yours because its sweet enough to compare to ML but if u buy a 4 PK it's about 13$. Hope this helps.

Was out at Jester King brewery in the Hill Country near Austin yesterday. Low 70s and sunny with great beer. It doesn't get better than that!

I drink German pilsners and saisons all summer long. In doubt your friends would go for a saison, though. And, pilsner's not an option if you don't have good temperature control. A kolsch would be a good option. The American wheat/rye ale in Brewing Classic Styles is also a good choice for warmer weather. I'm brewing a hoppier take on that recipe this weekend.

Last summer I tried a blueberry wheat beer, and the bartender actually threw some blueberries in the glass. Seeing those blueberries floating around in the glass was fun, and the beer was seriously good beer.

I'm looking for a recipe like that for this summer.

what is the story behind this cocktail/meal?

There a lot of taverns around WI that sell these things. I pulled this one from a facebook friend, unsure of where exactly this is. But there are bloody mary buffets all over. We have a bar here in my hometown that makes them with a minimum of 8 ingredients and are less than 5 bucks a pop. I'm not a vodka fan, but this would be a great way to start a Sunday while on vacation!

Great hangover cures, also!

Another food item (well, it's sort of edible!) is spicy pickled eggs. They are often on the corner of the bar in a huge glass jar. They are great with beer, and I make them myself from time to time. That's a Wisconsin tradition, so you have to try one!

There a lot of taverns around WI that sell these things. I pulled this one from a facebook friend, unsure of where exactly this is. But there are bloody mary buffets all over. We have a bar here in my hometown that makes them with a minimum of 8 ingredients and are less than 5 bucks a pop. I'm not a vodka fan, but this would be a great way to start a Sunday while on vacation!

The more 'stuff' you see on top of the bloody, you must ask yourself, "what are they trying to hide". Most of the 'best' bloodies in Milwaukee follow the same recipe:
1. Jimmy Luvs bloody mix
2. Cheap vodka
3. Crazy crap on top

You can find places making their own mix, as well as their own vodka infusions. Those are the bloodies you're looking for

I imagine the one in the picture is from Sobelman's (why would someone else use a Sobelman's mug?).

You can find places making their own mix, as well as their own vodka infusions. Those are the bloodies you're looking for

I have to +1. There was a small dive in Minoqua (spelling?) That was on a lake in the far corner of town, best I have ever had and it was homemade!

I would love to live somewhere that had no weather where the temp dropped below freezing!

For summer I prefer Pale Ales, Light cream ales, light blondes, ESB's...anything 3.5-5% ABV works!

Back