Yeast for Clone Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeorjacob

Reaction score
I have a Short's Good Humans clone recipe I want to try out. For those who haven't had it, it's a "hoppy double brown." The ingredients come directly from the brewer, but they don't list a yeast. Which should I use?

I can't vouch for them but I know Rogue does the same thing with their kits. They then link you to a site where you can buy the yeast.

As far as what you want, it depends on what you want to do. Safale makes fine yeast if you aren't looking for an added pop. Or you can go White Labs or Wyeast (ideally with a starter) and bring out the hops. White Labs California is pretty solid, can't go wrong, or maybe their Pacific? hard to pick one but with a good amount of research you should find the right one.

Yeah, I just wondered if anyone had thoughts on a yeast that would be close to the original - or, at the very least, not impart any strange flavors that would make the beer less of a clone.

Buy one of the beers, fill up your hydrometer tube and let it degas for a few days and then take a FG reading..you can back into attenuation with the ingredient list you have.

Using wlp001 or 002 would probably be just fine. If the recipe has a lot of unfermentable sugars use 001 or if it doesn't and you are looking for some body use 002.

If you post the recipe I can be more helpful..plus I'd love to see it.

Back