Help Finding Co2 in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasky99

Reaction score
I am stationed in camp Zama Japan. It is located near Machida. Does anyone know where I can get my Co2 tank refilled? Any other DOD people out there stationed near here who keg?

First off - Thank you for your service!

I am looking for an answer to your question. I work with a guy that lived in Japan for several years after ETS from the Marines. He is currently TDY, but I have sent him an e-mail. Will let you know if he has worthwhile information. In the meantime, I would suggest asking AAFES where they get their CO2 for the soda fountains.

Not illegal, but the law states up to 1% alcohol by volume only. They do sell homebrewing equipment and kits in Japan. It up to the resident to brew within the limits of the law. I have been to Japan twice for a short time and the Japanese folks I met do like their beer. I am sure the OP will have little to worry about, especially if he lives on base or in government housing. He isn't the first American to brew in Japan. My co-worker did it for several years while living there.

@Vertra yeah, I live on post so I do not care too much what Japan has to say about it because they are not allowed on. Mps say it is fine so the problem still stands that now I have a keg but no Co2.

@ Lansing thanks for the help! Let me know what he says. I checked all over post an they said they don't know.

How did you get the tank shipped to Japan? HHG? I'm about to move over there (Oki) and want a tank for this but need to verify it can go with me somehow. I'd try Federal Fire, since they probably fill CO2 extinguishers anyway. If there's a SeaBee unit, they probably have some too.

Check in with the Okinawa home brewing group on Facebook. I"m sure they have some contact with someone up in your area who can set you straight. I live outside of Kyoto and use the Japanese CO2 tanks and the 8 mm quick release gas posts. Much cleaner than US style, I hate to say.

Check in with the Okinawa home brewing group on Facebook. I"m sure they have some contact with someone up in your area who can set you straight. I live outside of Kyoto and use the Japanese CO2 tanks and the 8 mm quick release gas posts. Much cleaner than US style, I hate to say.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't see such a group on facebook. Is there another name the group goes by? You can link me to the page, that'd be the most efficient.
thx

Or you can always ask a Japanese local to help you out (wink)

I live in Yokohama, and I know that a local liquor store chain offers CO2 tank refills. The first time you pay for the CO2 and a deposit charge for the tank, which is returned when you return the tank as well, or you can just pay for the CO2 and get a refill. The store (Yokohama-ya, 横浜屋) offers this service to restaurants and bars already, and I'm sure there are other liquor stores that do so in your area.

I mean, its near Machida, I'd be surprised if there weren't any. You could optionally pop into a bar and ask them where they get their CO2. Or if you are shy, you could wait until a liquor store's truck parks in front of the bar, because most bars get their CO2 from the same place they get their beer kegs. Just note the name of the liquor store and search on the internet.

I also know a store near Ikebukuro that definitely sells CO2 to regular customers (not just bars/restaurants), 7200 yen for the smallest tank (5kg) which includes 5250 yen deposit.

This message is a little late, but for OP and other Zama people (and Atsugi people if they are searching as well), there is a GREAT liquor store a mile or less outside of the back gate on "suicide road" on the way to SHA. The exact address is: Sagamidai, 5丁目2−1, Minami-ku, Sagamihara-Shi, Kanagawa-ken (or go to maps.google.com and put these coordinates in the search box '35.516813,139.409947'). They have CO2 tanks which cost 7300Yen, and when you return it you get 5000Yen back. Or pay the difference to refill. They also have some bottles and have kegs of big name Japanese beer.

I hope this helps future generation of Zama kegsters. Cheers!

Hey all ... I had my tanks shipped via HHG ... And I brought them to a weld shop supply, but I had to pay to have them hydrostatic tested first, which is only good for a year I think ... But that weld shop is located outside Kadena on RT 16 by the dragon... Hope this helps

CDCTx said:
This message is a little late, but for OP and other Zama people (and Atsugi people if they are searching as well), there is a GREAT liquor store a mile or less outside of the back gate on "suicide road" on the way to SHA. The exact address is: Sagamidai, 5丁目2−1, Minami-ku, Sagamihara-Shi, Kanagawa-ken (or go to maps.google.com and put these coordinates in the search box '35.516813,139.409947'). They have CO2 tanks which cost 7300Yen, and when you return it you get 5000Yen back. Or pay the difference to refill. They also have some bottles and have kegs of big name Japanese beer.

I hope this helps future generation of Zama kegsters. Cheers!

CDCTXs idea is the way I went. All you have to do is buy the new nut to adapt your pressure regulator and you are good to go.

Back