Fermenting time with different Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdahl1289

Reaction score
I had a lot of success with my first Lager. It turned out really well, but now I do not have access to the fridge I used. I was thinking of try a California Lager Yeast instead. They say they need to be at around 60-65 degrees. which would perfect for the area i ferment in. I know there will be a little change in taste. My question is how long should I do my first and second fermintations? my other fermintation was 1 week in 1st stage, then a day for a rest, then 3 weeks in the second stage, then bottled. :confused::drunk::rockin:
thanks,
John ___/)___

I've never done a steam beer, or California common, or whatever the right name for it is. But the fermentation time should depend on the OG, it probably isn't a very big beer (1.60 at most) so i would just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks.

I would think the warmer temps, and the fact that you are shooting for off flavors (fruity esters) means fermentation will go pretty quickly.

will you be dry hoping it?

Maybe someone with more experience with these beers will chime in, I'm personally not a big fan of them.

I like to ferment my Cali Common (Steam Beer ) at 58-60F as this promotes a nice clean fermentation with no off flavors produced. Because there is no dry hopping on this style I prefer to leave the beer in primary for a total of 3 weeks with no secondary necessary. If you have fluctuating temperatures you can do a simple water bath to maintain a consistent temperature through the first 2 weeks. Make sure you make an appropriate starter as this is still a lager yeast.

Thanks, I am just playing around with a nice clean house beer, so when I have people over who can't drink anything darker then bud light, I will have a option for them. So far my favorite has been a English ale. I am think of maybe try to dry hop pale ale for that extra kick. Till then baby steps.

I have used Wyeast 2112 in a few batches fermented at 60 degrees because I didn't have the ability to do a real lager, but wanted something close. In my opinion, it didn't work. The yeast leaves a flavor that is subtly like grape. I have had better success with 1056 and US-05 making clean tasting beers in the same fermentation temp range. Also, if you're looking to please the BMC crowd, try BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops. I made that once and my BMC friends raved over it.

I don't ferment anything less than 2 weeks. You should be good, but it wouldn't hurt to take a hydrometer reading and make sure you're at F.G. If you keep the temp down, you'll be happy with the flavor.

Latest posts

Back