Cold or room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
Never had mead before but now I have 44 bottles full. FG was 1.010 so I guess you would call that a sweet mead.
What is the preferred serving temp?
First batch was brewed on 12/4/11 and bottled in March, not sure I like the taste yet.

last mead i had i drank warm with mulling spices was awesome stuff for cheap comercial crap

Unless its a seriously LOW ABV% mead it won't be nearly ready to drink yet. I made some mead batches (14% ABV) in December (early) and they're still in batch/bulk form. I won't be bottling them for months yet.

BTW you make mead/wine and brew beer.

I find I like mine either at red wine temperatures, or at least starting out there. As it warms, it will change. Have a glass of it and drink it slowly. Take a temperature of it when you REALLY like it and then plan to serve it as close to there as possible.

To be honest it depends on what type of mead it is, great mead (7 or 8 months old or longer) room temp, sack mead (couple of months) slightly cooler than room temp, melomel (fruit mead) chilled or refridgerated and the same for braggot, but it really varies person to person, plus. Refridgerating mead before racking helps settle any sediment so you get a clearer batch. Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the comments. I still prefer BIG Beers and will drink some dry red wines on occasion. The mead will be a new taste sensation when it is ready.

Most of my mead is consumed cellar temp, which for my house is about 65*F most of the time. I think they are generally better a little warmer like this, rather than chilled. Try yours different ways, and see what *you* like, and what works for your mead.

BTW, 1.010 is right on the border between dry and semi-sweet...

Back