My two-tap kegerator build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built two tap kegerator for my house and I figured I would post pics and progress As to how it came out.

I will used a old chest freezer that I had, and built it to run two sixth barrel kegs at a time.

First I painted my freezer since it was beat to hell. I used plastic primer and finished it off with hammerite black from rustoleom. The freezer will be receiving a red oak collar to run lines in and out without destroying it. That is the next step.

71ebfced.jpg

fe93fb36.jpg

0d19b996.jpg

Closeup to show the finish
161b9e58.jpg

The next step was to build a wood collar. i used red oak, high density insulation, foam sealer and deck screws.

3c9e40e1.jpg

64d49f4d.jpg

41eeb292.jpg

4ec1c67f.jpg

af3ac239.jpg

9a6205d0.jpg

1e6540dc.jpg

Here are some crappy inside shots and a couple more finished shots.

456a3563.jpg

f8487789.jpg

1c723ed1.jpg

76392168.jpg

I also built a wood cart for it to sit on to make moving it easier.

f7492a6f.jpg

e46b6941.jpg

5fd81d13.jpg

I love how each pic has different tap handles. Good job, nice build

:eek: I have a bit of a 'collecting problem' :D I think in total i have about 10 different handles. My latest is a Sam Adams special reserve one that has a plexi box on the top with cards in it. It allows me to write the name of the beer that i have and put it in the holder. most of the handles i bought because i love the beers. Pumkinhead is my favorite! I am actually coming up on my 1 yr anniversary of turning this pig on. Jan 18th will be the one year, and it's seen 15 1/6th barrels :tank:

Very nice job! Shoulda gone for the Perlicks though!

+1 for this. You don't want to read my depressing story of loss and terrible sadness over the spilling of my Double Chocolate Stout last year do you?

tl;dr version, cheap taps gummed up, lost an entire batch to the garage floor.

The perlick's would have paid for themselves in the cost of that batch alone.

But, I don't want to detract from the epic nature of this build. Kudos. It's a thing of beauty for sure.
:mug:

Very nice job! Shoulda gone for the Perlicks though!

Not sure what they are, but def interested to hear about them.

+1 for this. You don't want to read my depressing story of loss and terrible sadness over the spilling of my Double Chocolate Stout last year do you?

tl;dr version, cheap taps gummed up, lost an entire batch to the garage floor.

The perlick's would have paid for themselves in the cost of that batch alone.

But, I don't want to detract from the epic nature of this build. Kudos. It's a thing of beauty for sure.
:mug:

Thank you, and sorry to here about your loss. I mean, sure pour a little out for your homies, but not a full batch!:cross:

Great build! What size is the freezer? Could you fit 3 kegs?

Its a 5.0 cubic ft chest freezer. my sister bought it brand new for a 100 bucks about 10 years ago. It was used as a freezer for 6 years, sat off for 3 and has been a kegerator for a year. I have had three kegs fit in it, but one wasn't tapped. I could've tapped it if i had a taller collar i guess. i keep two in there in the deeper part and the CO2 sits on the raised area above the compressor. the internal dimensions of the deeper section at 15"x15". it fits two sixers perfectly.

Nice build, but after all that work did you really leave the screws in the collar exposed like that? I would think with the way your garage looks you could have at the least counter sunk and wood putty, if not used plugs! :)

Nice build :mug:

Nice build, but after all that work did you really leave the screws in the collar exposed like that? I would think with the way your garage looks you could have at the least counter sunk and wood putty, if not used plugs! :)

Nice build :mug:

lol. I got a lot of people asking why i did that while i was building it. for me it was a personal touch. I like the look of the screw heads. Kinda shows that it was hand-crafted by me, and not something i bought and added on. who knows though. :ban:

I don't have a shot of it, but the drip tray is currently mounted with chrome hinges. my friend ripped it off when he stood up next to it one day, so now with the hinges it moves if you bang into it.

Not sure what they are, but def interested to hear about them.

Perlick PERL 525SS Keg Beer Faucet - Stainless Steel | BeverageFactory.com

Perlick is a brand name of faucets. There are several threads on here about people buying those chrome no-name faucets for cost efficiency, but they end up molding often or spilling too much beer over time. Needless to say, said people end up buying better faucets. If you've had no problems with your faucets over the year you've had with that keezer, then kudos! If any of those problems sound familiar, consider buying some Perlick faucets :D

By the way, they look AWESOME!

Perlick PERL 525SS Keg Beer Faucet - Stainless Steel | BeverageFactory.com

Perlick is a brand name of faucets. There are several threads on here about people buying those chrome no-name faucets for cost efficiency, but they end up molding often or spilling too much beer over time. Needless to say, said people end up buying better faucets. If you've had no problems with your faucets over the year you've had with that keezer, then kudos! If any of those problems sound familiar, consider buying some Perlick faucets :D

By the way, they look AWESOME!

Nice, thanks for the read. I have been very lucky in that i haven't expierienced these problems. I do get an off taste on the first beer of a new keg, but thats due to me not having a line-cleaning setup. :eek: I need to get one, I just haven't bothered yet. i usually just flush the line with Co2 the best i can, and then drink the first beer myself. its never awful, but you can taste the mixture from the last keg.

Little update:

Way to go guys, you cursed it on me. :p I haven't been drinking out of my taps for about a week or two. poured some beers yesterday and got an off-taste. I took a paper towel and swabbed the inside of the tap. some sort of brown-looking crap came out. my guess is it molded a bit. So two Perlick taps are on order along with a cleaning setup.:ban:

Little update:

Way to go guys, you cursed it on me. :p I haven't been drinking out of my taps for about a week or two. poured some beers yesterday and got an off-taste. I took a paper towel and swabbed the inside of the tap. some sort of brown-looking crap came out. my guess is it molded a bit. So two Perlick taps are on order along with a cleaning setup.:ban:

I can contest to this. Not just an off-taste, but an off-smell to it, too.

Back