1st time meader has fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsarkon

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm new to the scene and had a question.

I'm making a traditional mead. 5 gals with about 14.5 lbs of blackberry honey. My OG was 1.123 after i corrected for the temperature. Fermentation began in less than 24 hours. For 3-4 days it was a pretty steady ferment with only about 1 sec between each bubble in the airlock. It's now a week after my ferment started and the bubbling has reduced to once about every 5 seconds. the temperature has stayed within 70F and 74F. I took a hydrometer reading today and it was at 1.035. No strange smells but what I'd like to know is if this is a normal rate for the fermentation. Should I add any nutrient? Where should the ferment be at right now?

Thanks ahead of time for anybody's input. I'm extremely grateful for any advice. I'm hoping that I can bottle this and give it to my best friend and his soon to be wife when they get married in about a year. :)

Did you add any kind of nutrient at the beginning? If not, then yes, add some. Those yeast are probably a little malnourished right now & could use a good multi-vitamin.

That's actually pretty impressive how far it went in a few days with nothing added.

Oh, & bubbling does not necessarily mean anything.

I used Lalvin D47 dry yeast. I pitched a concoction of 2tbs yeast energizer and 2 tbs yeast nutrient right before pitching the yeast.

Should I add more nutrient at any certain increment.

Back