green beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniels

Reaction score
When i first started homebrewing i had someone tell me yea i tried that in the 70s your beer is gonna turn out green and taste bad. has anyone ever had this happen?

100% of everyone on this forums first batch looked like this:
green-beer3.jpg

So don't be surprised if yours does too.

Homebrewing has come a long way in the past 30 years. People used to crack eggs in their beer (maybe some still do) to get their beer to clear. Now we crash cool or use gelatine. There was also no interbutts in the 70's. Now there is.

And as far as green beer, do you mean literally green? Around here green beer means young, unaged beer, not beer that has gone foul.

Green could mean a few things:
1. Green flavor like vegetation
2. Green color (from coloring) like on saint pats,

The later is not going to happen without intention. My take is don't listen to your buddy. Make a beer it will be better than anything you can buy most likely.

no i mean green in color. ive been brewing on and off since the early 90s ive just never had it happen to me

You're not going to get beer unless you specifically put something in there to do it. I'm trying to concoct a way to brew a green beer, the right herbs may do it. However I don't know how many that may take plus finding the ones that will be drinkable in such quantity. Maybe the right fresh leafy green veggies and steep out the chlorophyll. Japanese matcha tea, but that could be pricey. Plus it's gonna have to be a lighter beer so you're not having too many dark malts to overcome.

Back