DFH 90 and 120, I leave it for those who enjoy it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I have to say that everyone out there makes beer for someone. This beer was not at all for me. Neither was the 120. Luckily other people drink this beer, but it is totally not for me. You don't have to worry about me depleating the stocks.

Yeah, if you dont like the 90 then the 120 will melt your tongue. :cross:
Tried their 60 at all?

Last Saturday we blended the 60 & 90 for a "75" and it was right where I like it.

I have to say that everyone out there makes beer for someone. This beer was not at all for me. Neither was the 120. Luckily other people drink this beer, but it is totally not for me. You don't have to worry about me depleating the stocks.

Me either I can't stand the stuff. If I am not going to drink my own IPA's I buy Local except for Stone. I like Founders Double Trouble, Reds Rye PA, Two Hearted and Crooked Tree From Dark Horse. I still think the Stone Ruination is the best IPA I have ever had.

I have to say that it is a very east coast styled beer. Nothing against it, just not for me. Very malty and not as much hops as I figured there would be. Syrup like as well. Glad I tried them though.

I have to say that it is a very east coast styled beer. Nothing against it, just not for me. Very malty and not as much hops as I figured there would be. Syrup like as well. Glad I tried them though.

East coast here. I enjoy them both and at the same time don't care for the Stone IPA. It just seems harsh and raw. On the other hand I like the Arrogant Bastard. Prob b/c the extra malt used to bump the ABV balances the hops better, for me that is.

I agree completely. Had the 60 min a couple of months ago and thought it barely touched Pale Ale territory, let alone IPA.

I like the 90 every now and then, but not all the time. I like my IPA to have a nice little base behind it. I find Stone IPA to be nothing more then a load of hops dumped into water. Throw a little something in there for some balance!

120 is neither an East Coast nor a West Coast IPA. It is a barleywine and should be evaluated accordingly, regardless of what the brewery chooses to call it.

I like the 60 a lot. The 90 isn't anything special at all, though. I haven't had the 120, as the abv limit in GA is like 14% or something random and arbitrary like that.

The thing about DFH is that they do all these crazy brews, which is cool, but their best beers are the most straightforward ones (the 60 minute and the India Brown, imo).

Not fan of the 60 - leaves an astringent aftertaste on my tongue.

The 90 was great IMHO, it was nice and balanced and hid that 9% ABV very well (too well actually).

Never had the 120; I don't believe that I will ever be able to justify the cost enough to warrant buying one bottle let alone a 4 pack.

East coast here. I enjoy them both and at the same time don't care for the Stone IPA. It just seems harsh and raw. On the other hand I like the Arrogant Bastard. Prob b/c the extra malt used to bump the ABV balances the hops better, for me that is.

Have you tried ruination?completely different from stone ipa.I just smell it for a while before i even take a sip...Delicious.Of course i am a fan of the regular ipa too.To the OP.Yeah 90 min kinda sucks.It's like theres too much malt flavor for an ipa.

It all goes back to what you like. If you want an IPA to taste malty then DFH is awesome. If you like more hop flavor and aroma then there are many others I would go for instead. I have found that I really enjoy hop aroma in my nose and don't want any sweetness in my IPA's. I just went to an IPA fest and was a really big fan of Pizza Ports, Fifty Fifty, Marin Brewing, and Russian River.

My normal favorite brands fell short surprisingly.

120 is neither an East Coast nor a West Coast IPA. It is a barleywine and should be evaluated accordingly, regardless of what the brewery chooses to call it.

I completely agree with you here; some IIPAs even blur the line between 'true' IIPA and barleywine, depending on the brewery.

I like the 60 minute, but not the 90 or 120.

+1

60 min is my go-to beer. I'm a DE person and have been drinking DFH for a long time. I also like Stone IPA (the regular kind. Ruination is too much) and Hazed & Infused. I love the hop smells/tastes and 90/120 minute is way too malty.

I like em all... 60 min is a good session brew, 90 minute would be a good session brew but I get drunk too fast on em! HA!.. 120 minute is pretty over the top, but I really liked it.

Wait a minute - I am sitting here in stunned silence.

90 Minute IPA is...

sweet!?

I'm trying very, very hard to think of a way to nicely say, "If you think this beer is sweet, you really need to reset your taste buds away from Glowing Lava Vindaloo and Hops Tea and back to something that makes sense."

I mean to say, yeah, I live on the East Coast and all that, but fer Crissakes - if you think 60 and 90 are malt-forward and sweet, you've got taste buds rented from Dave Lister. How much hops do you guys want, anyhow?

I'm not defending Sam and the boys; they can do that themselves. I'm slightly concussed by the idea that anything other than a beer that tastes like a pound of hops boiled in five gallons of water isn't worth calling 'hoppy'.

To each his or her own, I always say; I have to confess a real concern for the state of the industry when breweries have to keep ramping up their flavor-bombs just to keep the vocal 'geeks' happy. It's disconcerting to look at sites like Ratebeer and find that the Extremely Big Flavor Bombs are all 'A+' while excellent, well-balanced, finely-crafted beers of less than 7% ABV (and don't have obvious flavors that kick one in the tonsils) are rated 'C' or worse. I know we live in America, where "bigger, faster, louder, MORE" is the general rule. I submit, however, that we're losing the ability to appreciate excellent beer for what it really is.

Bob

90 Minute IPA is...

sweet!?

I'm trying very, very hard to think of a way to nicely say, "If you think this beer is sweet, you really need to reset your taste buds away from Glowing Lava Vindaloo and Hops Tea and back to something that makes sense."

I mean to say, yeah, I live on the East Coast and all that, but fer Crissakes - if you think 60 and 90 are malt-forward and sweet, you've got taste buds rented from Dave Lister. How much hops do you guys want, anyhow?

I'm not defending Sam and the boys; they can do that themselves. I'm slightly concussed by the idea that anything other than a beer that tastes like a pound of hops boiled in five gallons of water isn't worth calling 'hoppy'.

To each his or her own, I always say; I have to confess a real concern for the state of the industry when breweries have to keep ramping up their flavor-bombs just to keep the vocal 'geeks' happy. It's disconcerting to look at sites like Ratebeer and find that the Extremely Big Flavor Bombs are all 'A+' while excellent, well-balanced, finely-crafted beers of less than 7% ABV (and don't have obvious flavors that kick one in the tonsils) are rated 'C' or worse. I know we live in America, where "bigger, faster, louder, MORE" is the general rule. I submit, however, that we're losing the ability to appreciate excellent beer for what it really is.

Bob

+1

I wonder if those guys appreciate a cream ale, an ESB, or even a Hobgoblin. I just picked up a 6 pk of Sweetwater Brown and Terrapin Cream Ale and they're great session beers that don't kill your tastebuds for food. Cheaper too.

Yes, I appreciate Cream Ales, ESBs, Browns and the like.

I just believe DFH has consistently under-attenuated beers that aren't balanced, leading to too much residual sweetness. You know, as my opinion. Yours is different, and that's fine. I just personally believe that a little more attenuation could really make those hops pop more. I don't believe I need to reevaluate my taste buds, but thanks for the oh so nice suggestion.

90 Minute IPA is...

sweet!?

Bob

I see what you are getting at and I totally agree about the rating sites. I additionally think they are worthless because brewpubs/breweries that do not distribute are always rated higher. Whether this is because the beer reviewed is always fresh or simple rooting for the hometeam, it makes comparing geographically disparate breweries a futile exercise.

However, there is nothing wrong with wanting an IPA to have restrained residual sweetness and caramel flavor even if that means the beer is not well balanced between hops and malt. That is what an American IPA is.

Scottish ales are just as "unbalanced" but I doubt you want brewers of scottish ales to add more hops to balance that style out. Not every beer can or should be an exercise in total balance.

I just believe DFH has consistently under-attenuated beers that aren't balanced, leading to too much residual sweetness.

I agree with this statement 100% and With the 120 being like a barleywine. The 90 and 120 are both extremely sweet and after about 2 of them they make me sick to my stomach.

Yes, I appreciate Cream Ales, ESBs, Browns and the like.

I just believe DFH has consistently under-attenuated beers that aren't balanced, leading to too much residual sweetness. You know, as my opinion. Yours is different, and that's fine. I just personally believe that a little more attenuation could really make those hops pop more. I don't believe I need to reevaluate my taste buds, but thanks for the oh so nice suggestion.

Not trying to step on anyone's opinion or be insulting, sorry if it came off that way. I just feel like the IPA style has become more hoppy over the last several years and its now expected to be over the top to be acknowledged as an IPA. Obviously this is just my opinion.

I like 60, 90 is ok, but it's a bit too sweet. I've brewed much hoppier beers than DFH 120, it was the alcohol burn that I didn't like. If I wanted that I'd drink Vodka.

90 Minute IPA is...

sweet!?

90 minute IPA has a big malt profile. It is much more towards an English IPA than it is an American IPA in that regard. Everyone has different palates, and I am convinced that IPAs are particularly subject to regional tastes. To me, a 90 Minute is a malty beer. Sweet is oversimplifying it in my book, but it is nothing like the dry examples of the style.

I'll take Stone out of the equation because I don't think their IPA is the best out there. Ruination is pretty damn good for what it is, but they're still not my favorites. Russian River makes a few awesome IPAs. Pliny the Elder is a double, so I won't count it. Ballast Point Big Eye is great, their Sculpin is one of the best beers I've ever had, Alesmith IPA is my favorite year round IPA.

These beers are all dry with a big hop profile. That is how the style has developed out here. If it isn't to your taste, that's fine, but to say stone is like hops thrown in water is silly. It is a well crafted beer, just not to your liking.

My favorite beers are not hoppy beers. I'm a big fan of Scotch ales, browns, porters, stouts, Flanders and Belgian beers, among other things. But when I want an IPA, I want it to be dry, crisp, and with a big hop profile. If it is too malty, it just isn't for me.

Not trying to step on anyone's opinion or be insulting, sorry if it came off that way. I just feel like the IPA style has become more hoppy over the last several years and its now expected to be over the top to be acknowledged as an IPA. Obviously this is just my opinion.

Mine, too.

And I apologize to those folks I might have offended. Opinions are strongly held, and often over-vocalized. Guilty as charged, and beg forgiveness.

:mug:

Bob

I have had the opportunity to taste their 120 from tap and it was a nice sipping beer. It might be a little too much for most people. I have a bottle of 120 that was bottled about a year ago. That one is going to be broken out for a special occasion. Living in NC, we cannot get beers over 15%? abv I believe.

As for the 90, it definitely has a malty taste to it. More of an English style IPA than American IPA. And it is so smooth & well-balanced.

Nevertheless you have to respect the creativeness that goes into their brewing.

Has anyone had the opportunity to drink their World Wide Stout??

I cant even get this in North Carolina. The 120 that is. LIked the 90 and 60.

I have had the opportunity to taste their 120 from tap and it was a nice sipping beer. It might be a little too much for most people. I have a bottle of 120 that was bottled about a year ago. That one is going to be broken out for a special occasion. Living in NC, we cannot get beers over 15%? abv I believe.

As for the 90, it definitely has a malty taste to it. More of an English style IPA than American IPA. And it is so smooth & well-balanced.

Should have read his post first.:drunk:

I loved the 60, but did not really enjoy the 90. As far as my uneducated palate could tell, it was too malty. Someone above mentioned the 90 was English IPA style, but I completely disagree with that. Nothing I ever drunk in the UK was ever so sweet. I have not tried the 120 - it would have to be very different to the 90 to make me want to try it.

I like hoppy beers: Thunderhead IPA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Stone Ruination. I also like English milds/bitters/ESBs. So it doesn't have to be hoppy. I think I just don't like overbearing malt. I found Rougue's Dead Guy to be too malty for my tastes too, and I had really thought I was going to like it.

...and it is. I just can't stand the 90 minute calling itself an IPA. I don't know what they dry hopped it with, but they must have taken a card from BMC saying that there is hops in the beer. All I tasted was sweet malt. There was so little bitter and zero hop aroma that my friend asked me what pale ale we were drinking.

I am not looking to have the enamel taken from my teeth, but come on, this is not an IPA. Just a 9% beer. And not worthy of the $2.50 price tag it comes with.

I like DFH 60 minute, and like 90 minute even more. That said, they are not overly aggressive hoppy beers IMO. I assume this has to do more with the continuous hop additions than anything else. There are clearly a lot of hops in the brews, but the slow/small additions take a lot of the PUNCH out of it. They're still good though, just not the best.

I have a World Wide Stout chilling right now. I picked it up last weekend in Blacksburg, VA. Where's a good place to buy beer in Boone? I am in that area from time to time.

Ballast Point Big Eye is great, their Sculpin is one of the best beers I've ever had, Alesmith IPA is my favorite year round IPA.

These beers are all dry with a big hop profile. That is how the style has developed out here. If it isn't to your taste, that's fine, but to say stone is like hops thrown in water is silly. It is a well crafted beer, just not to your liking.

Sculpin has to be my hands down favorite IPA I've ever had as well. (excluding doubles . . .), their big eye is great go to, and I've just recently gotten into the alesmith IPA. . .

anyway, what I'm saying is I agree -- maybe it's a west coast palate Vs. east coast palate thing but I want my IPA's to be hop foreward, dry, crisp, and earthy. malty beers are great, and I love a good pale, or brown, or scotch, but as far as IPA's are concerned, I want it hoppy. it doesn't have to be a hop explosion or anything, but it definitely needs to be the predominate flavor. . .

Bob

Word. I never really even bother reading Ratebeer or Beer Advocate. Certain types of beers will be A's and certain types will be C's. Doesn't matter how well done the beer is.

I bought a bottle of the 120 from the grocery store a couple weeks ago. 9 bucks a bottle. Pricey, but I figured why the hell not. I haven't tried it yet.

Back