Found source of infection!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jma99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I found it!

Like many, I have a bucket collection.
I keep getting a recurrent lacto infection about half the time I brew.
(AG only, and I keg.)

Couple of weeks ago I took some vacation to watch the kids while SWMBO went antiquing with her sister.

I brewed 6 batches in 7 days, and found out which buckets have the lacto.

Well, after tossing out 3 AG batches in one week. (12 man hours wasted)
I have decieded to pitch all my plastic buckets and have ordered a couple of 6 gal better bottles to use as primary fermenters.

Does anyone use these? Do I need a blow off, or is 6 gal big enough?

Thanks,

Joel

I would venture a guess that about half the forum regulars use better bottles and the other half are split between glass, buckets and conicals. With good temperature control, I ferment 5.5 gallons in the 6g BB and yes, use a blowoff. You can put some 1/2" ID over the large nipple on the orange carboy caps. If you want to go bigger, swipe some discarded caps off the company water cooler bottles, drill a hole and insert a nylon hose barb in whatever size you want (lowes and HD should have them).

The same thing drove me to use better bottles. I just didn't have as many lacto infections before I switch. Man you stubborn:D. Depending on the batch I use a blow off tube. I don't do anything special though, just stick a tube on the airlock.

Back