Did the dip tube, but I still wonder...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
...If I could get it a little lower. You might recall my thread before, complaining about my mash efficiency due to a huge deadspace. I finally got a stainless steel dip tube set up but it's maybe 1/4 or 1/2 inch from the deepest part of my MLT keg. After a test run, my waste went from 2-2.5 gallons to only 16 ounces. Is it worth it to change the end piece (a longer one so it's closer to the bottom) on the 90 degree elbow in order to get that last bit of wort?

EdWort said:
16 oz? Nah, it's easier to just calculate that into your recipe.
Yeah, I figured it's nothing to sweat over. Though I do have a stainless steel dealer around here that has a part that'd fix right onto the end of my elbow and get me, probably millimeters away from the bottom of the MLT. Besides only saving probably an extra 8-10 ounces, if that, would having the end of my dip tube so close to the bottom of the MLT inhibit the flow of the water? My main concern is that the most concentrated wort would be that last bit I'm missing.

are you batch sparging or fly sparging, if you are batch sparging it doesn't really matter, and as edwort said, you can calculate it ointo your recipe.

I wouldn't worry about 16oz.
Check your efficiency on your next batch. If you feel it's still low, you can go back and extend the tube. I think you'll see a huge improvement though.

Well, I solved the problem. Came into the stainless steel dealer and explained the need for an extension on my dip tube. Here's the key, though. I brought in a pint of beer to share with the office like I promised I would. They loved the beer and gave me the new fittings I needed for free.

Seems like if you have beer, you're always bound to make a friend or two. :fro:

Back