Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schlenkerla said:
I was implying that you should do it with your hop substitution. Just check the alpha acids and calculate the ibu so you add the right amount during the boil. If you do that your beer will be pretty much identical.

Ya that's what I thought. Thanks. I'm trying to decide between yours and saccha's (not spelling out that whole name), and I can't decide. I only have 3oz of KG.

Any comments and suggestions on this recipe would be greatly appreciated. This is an Imperial Red that I came up with. Based off the northern brewer irish red kit, I added 1 lbs of grain to steep, 3.13 lbs of LME, a yeast nutrient, and 1 Lbs of candi sugar to get the higher alcohol. I also doubled the hops bill to compensate. What do you think?

1lb briess caramel 40l
.5lb dingemans caramel pils
.25lb briess special roast
.125lb dingemans buscuit
.125lb english choclate malt, all steeped at 155F for 20-30mins

9.13 lbs Gold malt syrup

1oz willamette, 60 mins
1oz goldings, 60mins, 30 mins
1oz centennials, 30 mins, 15 mins
1oz cascade, 10 mins, 5 mins
1lb candi sugar, 15 mins
yeast nutrient, 15 mins

OG 1.082 FG 1.021 14 SRM 42.3 IBU 8.1% abv

I brewed this recipe yesterday but used the BRY 97 yeast, and made a few extra hop additions with what I had on hand. .5oz centennial at 60 and probably less than .5oz liberty at 10. Don't know if this will do much, but I love hoppy reds.

Planning on doing this recipe tomorrow. Never done LME always DME. Any tips or differences I should be aware of? Also, Ive always done 4 gallons to begin with, steep specialty grains and add the dME to that,Boil 60 then dump the wort into the primary with the other 2 gal. Is that too much water for the specialty grains to steep in? Also, I noticed in the recipe it states 5 gallons, I know 5 gallon batch is typical but I have always started off with a total of 6 to account gor boil off and trub. Is that gonna throw this recipe off? ( ive never done anything except a kit)

Brewed a slight variation of this last week.

Used with 6lbs Amber DME.
Managed to hit ~1.046 OG, and it's been actively fermenting for 5 days at 64-66 ambient.

Will report back, smells great so far.

4acqS.jpg

Edit: And this is pretty solid, probably one of the tastiest I've brewed. Worked out well!

Planning on doing this recipe tomorrow. Never done LME always DME. Any tips or differences I should be aware of? Also, Ive always done 4 gallons to begin with, steep specialty grains and add the dME to that,Boil 60 then dump the wort into the primary with the other 2 gal. Is that too much water for the specialty grains to steep in? Also, I noticed in the recipe it states 5 gallons, I know 5 gallon batch is typical but I have always started off with a total of 6 to account gor boil off and trub. Is that gonna throw this recipe off? ( ive never done anything except a kit)

The most important thing here in following the recipe is your boil volume as it effects hop utilization. It would not matter on steeping grains if you had more water. More water would increase hop utilization or increase the bitterness in the final beer.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I am using the Irish Red extract from Northern Brewers but I am trying to give it something extra. I was considering adding coriander and orange peel in the secondary fermentation after soaking the spices in vodka for 2 weeks. Afraid of how it will turn out. Any input on what extra flavors will go good with the Irish Red?

I am using the Irish Red extract from Northern Brewers but I am trying to give it something extra. I was considering adding coriander and orange peel in the secondary fermentation after soaking the spices in vodka for 2 weeks. Afraid of how it will turn out. Any input on what extra flavors will go good with the Irish Red?

It would be different, it would kind of have a Belgian character without the yeast type funk. The Irish red has a nice malty taste that might drown out the spice.

Depending on how you go about it, it might be ok. Don't over do the spices as a slight detection is a better route. If you can tell its there in every sip its too much. IMHO.

Personally, I would use orange peel and coriander in a light wheat beer. Leave this one be. Enjoy the malt character.

Hello,
I am planing on brewing this as a gift to my little sister-in-law for her 21st B-day. I have scanned this entire thread and have a few questions.
1. The original recipe states no starter used. Have you ever used a starter with this recipe and if so, is there a noticeable difference?
2. I have not had much success using a secondary. Have you ever made this with a long primary?
3. I have read may tips on wort transfer to secondary. Do you have any of your own to share that have been successful for you?
This recipe sounds great and I cant wait to brew it!

Hello,
I am planing on brewing this as a gift to my little sister-in-law for her 21st B-day. I have scanned this entire thread and have a few questions.
1. The original recipe states no starter used. Have you ever used a starter with this recipe and if so, is there a noticeable difference?
2. I have not had much success using a secondary. Have you ever made this with a long primary?
3. I have read may tips on wort transfer to secondary. Do you have any of your own to share that have been successful for you?
This recipe sounds great and I cant wait to brew it!

1) You don't really need a starter on this beer. If you have a good fresh smack-pack or rehydrated yeast its OK. Beers over 1.050 probably should have a starter or two yeast packs. I normally don't for this beer,but you could, but I doubt flavor-wise you could tell whether or not a starter was used. According to the Mr Malty yeast calculator it says to use one. Its really up to you since I think its borderline. I think Wyeast has their cut-off at 1.050, meaning over this use a starter.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

2) I have made this several times using just a primary. I used to secondary alot when I first started kegging. I was brewing alot so I used my 8 galllon brew buckets over rigging a blow off. Using the 2ndary freed up my brew buckets.

3) Use an auto-siphon and racking cane. This tool is indispensable for me. Try racking w/o splashing much and you will be fine. Taking your time and planning is big part of brewing as is cleanliness and patience.

+1 on "Taking your time and planning". I'm not a veteran brewer, but it didn't take long for me to realize that cleaning what you can as you go makes cleanup much easier. I'm sure anxious to start kegging though. I just ordered my starter kegging system yesterday.

My LHBs only has white labs, so what would be your suggestion for a replacement?
According to this the best replacement for the Wyeast American Ale II is the WLP California Ale V, however Im wondering if the Irish ale yeast would be better for this brew, although my LHBs has both yeasts.

My LHBs only has white labs, so what would be your suggestion for a replacement?
According to this the best replacement for the Wyeast American Ale II is the WLP California Ale V, however Im wondering if the Irish ale yeast would be better for this brew, although my LHBs has both yeasts.

Either would be good. My choice would be the Irish ale yeast.

I used the California V with no starter and it took a good while for the yeasties to do their job; however, a week in to bottle conditioning the beer tastes great! Got another couple of weeks to go, but I'm pumped to get these bad boys in the fridge. Thanks to this brew I got the wife on board with my brewing...good job sir, good job! She's now spearheading my keezer project, which is fine with me. :D

Partial boil means that you don't boil the full wort volume. 5-6 gallons. Maybe up to 3 gallons. The limiting factor that has to do with this, is the size of your brew kettle. Not everybody starting out has the large kettle or the heat source. Electric stoves and gas stoves generally require a long time to get five or six gallons to a boil. Thirty to forty minutes. Maybe longer. Many people use Turkey Fryers for larger boil volumes.

Full boil is what it sounds, full wort volume plus whatever evaporates.

Schlenkerla said:
Partial boil means that you don't boil the full wort volume. 5-6 gallons. Maybe up to 3 gallons. The limiting factor that has to do with this, is the size of your brew kettle. Not everybody starting out has the large kettle or the heat source. Electric stoves and gas stoves generally require a long time to get five or six gallons to a boil. Thirty to forty minutes. Maybe longer. Many people use Turkey Fryers for larger boil volumes.

Full boil is what it sounds, full wort volume plus whatever evaporates.

Ah. I've just always done full boil. Didn't know partial was an option. Also, I'm using a giant bucket fill with water to stick my fermenter in. What should be the temp of the water generalize it please. I do put ice in it. But I don't wanna get it too cold right?

I am planning to brew this next. It will be my third batch.
The recipe calls for Briess LME which is not available where I come from. I can only use Muntons LME (extra light liquid malt extract). Being relatively new to homebrewing does this mean it would change the taste. Any comments on using Muntons?

EDIT:
I found I am missing most of ingredients ...

Original recipe:
85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

My recipe:
Muntons LME
Cara Pils I (or II or III?)? I know this is not the same as caramel pills.
Weyermann melanoidin/fawcett brown ?

Dingemans Biscuit Malt Belgium
Muntons chocolate malt?

Is there any way I could brew this recipe and not some different recipe?

I also can get Dingemans Cara 20 (grain) or some Dingemans Aroma ...

I think what you're proposing is not too far off the mark if you can still get the chocolate malt.

The meloidenin will get you a distinct red color.

Make sure to use the right weights though. Ok

This is definitely going to be on my "need to brew list!" half temped to bump it to the top of the list, so many good comments, and tasty looking pictures!

Schif

Mine is in secondary right now, It will be there longer than the 2 weeks due to a family emergency. only sub was the 50/50 carapils and crystal for the caramel and i used s04 for yeast.

Got done brewing this a couple hours ago. Followed recipe to a tee, the hydrometer reading was 1.042, tasted a little spicy from the second hop addition. Tastes good tho! My NON-BEER DRINKING roommate enjoyed sampling that hydrometer sample even. I'm looking forward to drinking the finished product. Other roommates are already asking for bottles of it cuz it smelled so good boiling. xD Great recipe, I'll post pictures after mine moves into secondary in a week.

Schif

Well I just popped open my first bottle of this, and I think I may have done something wrong. Because it tastes like it's missing something. It tastes good! Don't get me wrong. But there is definately something... Maybe I missed steeping one of the grains?

Having read through this red thread :) I would really like to brew it. Given my inexperience, I would appreciate it if the experts here could look at the ingredients I plan to buy and verify that I have not screwed anything up before I purchase it all.

The original recipe from way back at the beginning of the thread is all of the left side of the table, and the stuff I have identified on Northern Brewer is in the right hand column of the attached jpg. Have I picked out the right things?

I can't attach the Excel file,which is too bad because the NB ingredients are hyperlinks, but y'all probably can tell just by the names.

Thanks very much,

Quaffable Irish Red Ingredients.jpg

Having read through this red thread :) I would really like to brew it. Given my inexperience, I would appreciate it if the experts here could look at the ingredients I plan to buy and verify that I have not screwed anything up before I purchase it all.

The original recipe from way back at the beginning of the thread is all of the left side of the table, and the stuff I have identified on Northern Brewer is in the right hand column of the attached jpg. Have I picked out the right things?

I can't attach the Excel file,which is too bad because the NB ingredients are hyperlinks, but y'all probably can tell just by the names.

Thanks very much,

This looks OK. The carapils is also called dextrine malt. Not sure if your sub is correct.

Checked, your sub is a light caramel malt. Use this... http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...-malts-malted-grain/briess-carapils-malt.html

This looks OK. The carapils is also called dextrine malt. Not sure if your sub is correct.

Checked, your sub is a light caramel malt. Use this... http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...-malts-malted-grain/briess-carapils-malt.html

Thanks very much!! Nobody has posted on this thread for a few months and I was unsure if you were even watching it. I really appreciate both the review and the link! This will be my second 5 gallon brew. My first was about 25 years ago or so, and we did not have the benefit of easy internet and forums :)

Having read the whole thread (and the all grain version thread, which may be next), I am really looking forward to doing this :mug:

Well, I have everything together now so I'm going to have a go at brewing this tomorrow. I got a KAB4 burner delivered yesterday. I'm going to cook a big batch of French Onion Soup on it tonight to see how controllable it is, and to burn the paint off.

Travis'n'Texas

We got it brewed and in the fermenter yesterday. It was a great time and I was blown away by the grain steep and the color and smells that pulled out of the grain!:D

Unfortunately my hydrometer rolled off the table and broke while we were steeping, so I don't have an OG measurement. Other than that, I think everything went well, but since this is my first real batch of beer (other two were Mr Beer) we will have to wait and see.

I have a mash tun built, so if this one works well I'm going to have a go at the all grain version of this!

Been a while. After two weeks in the primary I racked to the secondary, then I got extremely busy at work. We bottled it last night, so that was about 8 weeks in the secondary! It was at a controlled temperature though. I did not add any yeast when we bottled it. I'm hoping that there is still enough residual yeast to carbonate it properly.

Both the hydrometer sample when I racked it and the sample we took last night before bottling were very good!! I'll give it a few weeks in the bottles and test one.

Thanks for the recipe. As soon as I do the free Coffee Stout extract kit I got I am going to tackle the all grain version of this Irish Red!

Been a while. After two weeks in the primary I racked to the secondary, then I got extremely busy at work. We bottled it last night, so that was about 8 weeks in the secondary! It was at a controlled temperature though. I did not add any yeast when we bottled it. I'm hoping that there is still enough residual yeast to carbonate it properly.

It's going to carb, just make sure it's warm enough to do so. I don't bottle much nowadays, but I used to tip each bottle upside down everyday for the first week. Just to make more moment in the bottle.

Okay, so bottled two weeks. Chilled and opened one Sunday and it seemed thin and was pretty flat. Just opened another, not chilled this time, and it is awesome!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418778972.270475.jpg
No lacing in the glass, but it tastes fantastic. I'm thinking it's one of three things:
1 - some bottles did not seal well, possible because I noticed that some caps had a point sticking out
2 - sugar was not distributed evenly. Also possible, because while we put the sugar solution in the bottling bucket before we racked into it, we did not stir it up before bottling
3 - this beer may just be better at cellar temps around 55-65° which is the temp it is right now.

Regardless, this bottle is awesome and I have brewed a very good beer!

Thanks for the recipe and I am looking forward to doing the all grain version!

I made this recipe in December and have been drinking it for a few weeks. It is great and everyone seems to enjoy it as much as I do. I made this recipe again yesterday and I think it may become a stable of the home bar.

My only problem is both time I've made it, the OG has been too low. I've made about 8 batches of beer in the last 2 months and this is the only wort that isn't hitting the numbers. My first batch yielded 4.5 gal @1.046 (good OG, but 1/2 gallon short). I topped off to 5 gallons in my second batch and the OG was 1.040. I added 2 cups of boiled sugar to get it up to 1.046. I want to the beer to be 5-5.5 ABV.

Any who, great recipe with great taste, but I will bump up the LME to 7 lbs for my next batch.

Brewed this last Thursday and have had good activity since. Airlock is slowing down a bit as of this morning. Just curious as to how many people transferred to a secondary vs just keeping it in the primary. I have other primaries so no need to free the bucket. Also cant decide to bottle or keg. Usually just keg to save time but recently actually enjoyed going back to bottling once in a while.

Also the smell and color on this is great so far...

Back