Why do YOU brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
I posted a comment somewhere's else in the forum that made me think of this thread.

To be honest, I'm not in the game for award winning wine. I'm in it to get smashed. I don't care for snooty wine tasting connoisseur type activities, I like to get hammered!

Other than the obvious "it's just a hobby," why do YOU do it?

I would like to say its cheaper, but we all know, that's a lie.

I guess the only thing that I can come up with is being proud when I drink my own beer. It's a great feeling to have a beer/wine/cider that I made that I enjoy more than its commercial counterpart.

To experience the satisfaction of having successfully replicated a millennia-old process and the joy of consuming its results.

Not to save money, not to get drunk, not to win awards (though that might be fun). I will confess to enjoying compliments on my brew, though I tell people straight up: If you don't like it, don't drink it, you won't hurt my feelings. More for me.

To experience the satisfaction of having successfully replicated a millennia-old process and the joy of consuming its results.

Not to save money, not to get drunk, not to win awards (though that might be fun). I will confess to enjoying compliments on my brew, though I tell people straight up: If you don't like it, don't drink it, you won't hurt my feelings. More for me.

It is a great feeling when others enjoy the fruits of your yeast's labor.:D

At the rate I drink beer, all of my equipment should pay for itself in about 24 months. And I like to enjoy the fruits of my labor and get compliments.:rockin:

I get to create something amazing. I can tailor a style how ever I want. it's all about the flavor for me. the way I see it: you wanna drink to get drunk, stick with Everclear.

I know exactly what I want in a beer and the easiest way to get it is to make it myself. I also love the process; mashing, sparge, the aroma of the hops as they are added to the boil, etc. It's practical art.

I started because I loved Fat Tire but it was not available in Va. But I guess the reason I still brew is because I love to cook, even if it is the same thing over and over. Brewing is just cooking where you have to wait a while to see how it comes out.

And well I won't lie, when someone tries a beer I brewed and smiles and complements it I do enjoy that.

Because I like a great beer. And because its a great challenge to become great brewer of great beer. Even though it's never great enough to meet my standards.

i too enjoy to cook and drink beer. Home brewing is the best of both worlds. And its good fun to enjoy brews that you have created with friends and family.

I feel like I'm drinking free beer because it is so plentiful and has my name on it. The money spent towards brew day is just hobby money, not drinking money. Win win.

For something to do.. Empty nest. No more going to baseball,golf,basketball games. I needed something to fill my time.. What better way then brewing beer?

1. For the challenge. I especially like to try to clone stuff. Try a commercial beer and if I like it try to clone.

2. For the results. Beer is tasty.

3. For the comradery. I joined a club and we brew every Sunday. If it wasn't so much fun hangin with the guys I probably wouldn't brew as much.

3. Pride. As someone else said it's nice to get a compliment. It's also nice drinking a homebrew that I made and liking it.

My rig paid for itself a long time ago. I love the creativity of it. I love to drink and share the beer I make... that it all.

I would like to say its cheaper, but we all know, that's a lie.

I guess the only thing that I can come up with is being proud when I drink my own beer. It's a great feeling to have a beer/wine/cider that I made that I enjoy more than its commercial counterpart.

I would argue that it is cheaper to brew your own if you compare quality to quality. But what about the cost of all the equipment, huh? Doesn't that figure into the cost of it? Let me ask you this. Do you figure cost of all the pictures you take with a camera you spent $1,000 for? No you don't. Ultmately the money put into equipment is for your hobby. The money you put into actually making the beer is the cost of the beer. That IS cheaper for the quality.

The reason I brew is because it is a hobby I can enjoy every single day. I don't always take my camera out or my hot rod out on a daily basis. I do however consume and enjoy at least one of my own brews daily. I am proud of what I did and enjoy sharing with others.

Because I needed another hobby since I do not spearfish or freedive anymore. I used to be able to hold my breath for three and a half minutes static, and comfortably shoot fish on the bottom in 60 feet of water.

I know I already answered, but on a more serious note...

So, this passed weekend I was with my club at a brew festival of nearly 2,000 people sampling over 150 different beers. Towards the end of the event one man sought me out to tell me that my stout was the best beer he had tried all day and shake my hand.

That is an incredible feeling, and THAT is why I brew.
:mug:

Christ Billy... lol. I still dont know. You and I would either be best friends within 20 minutes of meeting each other or we'd get in the granddaddy of pissing contests in that time... I just dont know. :tank:

Zen...improve the process through understanding...the journey, not the destination...positive feedback loop from those you care most about...self satisfaction of being stubbornly independent.

Back