Got my setup!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got done swinging a deal with my parents on a kegging system! They didn't want to pay $100 a keg for megaswill at my brother's wedding this summer so I told them if they went in on a keg system with me, I would brew the beer for the reception myself and we could have 3 types of homebrew on tap! I just picked up that 3 keg setup from ebrew.com and it looks like a pretty good deal compared to the other stuff I saw on the web.

http://www.ebrew.com/cornelius_kegging_system_ball_lock/cornelius_ball_lock_system.htm

I saw it posted on this site and couldn't turn it down. Anybody else get this system from ebrew? I'm pretty Fired UP about it, and I think I have a fridge that will fit 'em, too!

I saw this deal a couple days ago, and though I do not keg yet, I am thinking of picking it up, as I hope to be kegging sometime this year. Have you taken delivery yet, and if so, is it "as advertised"? almost looks like too good of a deal. My LHBS is selling a dual gauge 5lb CO2 system with a single keg for 200...

WhatsOnTap said:
Hey guys, just got done swinging a deal with my parents on a kegging system! They didn't want to pay $100 a keg for megaswill at my brother's wedding this summer so I told them if they went in on a keg system with me, I would brew the beer for the reception myself and we could have 3 types of homebrew on tap!
WOT, you sir are a genius! :)

Great job-- now you just have to make good and sure to nail down a solid brew for their wedding or you'll incur the everlasting wrath of your soon to be sister in law. : )

PS-- I spent a few summers up in Traverse City as a kid my gramps lived up there near the end of an old 2 track on a few acres that butted up against a state (or was it national) preserve. Pretty up there.

Korncob, I think you're right - I might have to brew 5 or 6 batches so I can present three perfect ones at the wedding. Then I'd just have to drink those others because they might be "inferior" LOL. There is no such thing as a free lunch, is there? :cross:

For anyone who's interested:
I talked to Jess at Alternative Bev. (ebrew) and he said the kit includes a CO2 tank, 3 kegs (used with new o-rings included), and hookups to run 1 keg at a time. For 50 bucks more I put a kit on to hook up all 3 to "picnic taps" and CO2 so I can get 3 beers on tap at once. I'll let you guys know how the stuff looks when I get it if anybody is interested in that...

I am! I am planning on moving to kegs this summer. We have a big block party every year around labor day, and my neighbor has been bringing beer that he has brewed at one of the in-store brew your own places (called Deja-Brew in Shrewsbury, MA). He has to rent their taps and equipment. I would like to be able to supply the tapping equipment as well as some tasty brews on tap for this year's party.

Any the others are right-practice practice practice! The only people who shouldn't be practicing on the job are surgeons and airline pilots.

Congratulations on a brilliant scam!

Mark Twain said something like, "There are two kinds of watermelon, those which are acquired by honest labor and those acquired by art, and that the experienced knew which was better." I assume the same logic will apply here, so I am quite certain that you will make some superior brew!

SteveM said:
Congratulations on a brilliant scam!

Mark Twain said something like, "There are two kinds of watermelon, those which are acquired by honest labor and those acquired by art, and that the experienced knew which was better." I assume the same logic will apply here, so I am quite certain that you will make some superior brew!

I like that quote, "acquired by art"! I think that is a much better way to put it than "manipulation" :D

Anyway, the 'rents will be getting a full keg of fresh brew after the wedding as a thank-you for supporting my addiction! In the meantime, BREW ON! ;)

Anything is better than my sister's plan at her daughter's wedding. Neither drinks beer (sacrelige!) so they looked it up in Consumer's Reports. 2 cases of Old Milwaukpee....

WhatsOn, we should all bow down to you! What a shrewd plan! PFG!:D I normally avoid weddings like a case of chickenpox - they almost always have the worst selection of beer! But this is one I'd gladly RSVP for!

I've toyed with kegging and I might jump on that ebrew deal myself. Please let us know how things progress when you get your 'score' in hand!

Where there's a will there's a way! Just think of how many new homebrew addicts I will spawn from this one encounter, though. Out of 300 people there will be many that will appreciate and some that will have to create the "power of the brew".
Dang, I just thought of this: I should definately bottle up some of the good stuff just in case the kegs go dry! Maybe put some in champagne bottles for ourselves at the head table (I guess I'm greedy and manipulative LOL).

WOT, you managed to swing a better deal than me! I have a buddy that I've introduced to homebrewing and mentioned that "if we just had a kegging system, we would have it made." He said let's go get it! Since we live in Charlotte (where the ebrew store is located) we went over and picked up this same system. We went in 50/50 and the system stays at my house. I though that was a good deal until I read your scam. I'm VERY pleased with the system. The kegs were in excellent shape, with only a few ounces of soda in the bottom and very easy to clean. The were pressurized when we picked them up and have held pressure for a month now (including the one full of beer). I don't think there is a better deal anywhere than what Jess is offering.

That is good news! Don't worry, your scamming skills will improve with time, young grasshopper, feed your addiction :cool: Next time you go in to Alt. Beverage, tell Jess I said thanks for the time he spent on the phone helping me get started in this new endeavor. He seems like a real genuine guy and I wish him all the best. My name's Brian but I doubt he'll remember me.

And remember, don't drink up your last keg before the next one is under pressure :cross:

I have to mates that love my home brew that said it would be cool if thay could pull a beer from a tap like you get at pubs i showed them some photos on this sit next w\end thay rock up with all the keg gear bar the fridge :D

You're one hell of a horse trader! But 300 people??? You've got a LOT of beer to brew- those three corny kegs will never be enough. Three cornies roughly equals one half barrell. I had 300 people at my wedding we went through 2 1/2 half barrells. at least you'll enjoy all that brewing Have fun!

You'll need at least 3 times that number of 5gal cornies. Unless they are mostly wine drinkers. 3 cornies equals one 15gal beer keg (standard half barrel keg).

BTW, you can also rent a proper portable beer tap from a beverage supply place. That's what a lot of events held at halls use. Propbably a clip on model with 3 taps on it or three single tap clip ons. Just hook up to your beer lines. Nicer pour than a party tap and looks nicer too.

When's the wedding?

I was simply letting him know what the standard beer keg size from the liquor store was. Since one of his soda kegs is one third the size of the beer kegs his parents were thinking of or one sixth of a full barrel sized keg, if that's what the mega-swill was available in for $100.

Here's the deal:

We're also getting a keg of swill and another on reserve, PLUS my 3 homebrew 5 gal.'s. That way the pi$$ drinkers can swill away and/or drink on the HB. I plan on bottling up a case or three of "private reserve" stuff for the head table and the parents, since they are so generously accomodating my drinking habit nowadays. The wedding is at my grandparent's house in August, so I have some time to blow messing around with a batch or 2 to get it right. I figure I should start brewing in April - June to get 'em ready for August. Got a Red Ale, Amber Ale, and American Cream style set to go. Gonna fill up a keg before then (maybe a nut brown or amber) to drink on and see how it ages... Anyway, what my mom said was she dropped way too much money on beer at the hall for our wedding and this bar bill is going to be less anyway so what the heck. I wasn't going to argue with her ;)

Yeah, and youu can return unopened beer kegs anyway. Get the half barrel (15g) ones or the poney keg 7.5g sized ones so you can return them without having to open a big keg and having it half full later.
Though that can be a good thing if it's a good microbrewed beer.

Back