what beer style do you most consistently make good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatHead

Reaction score
Like the title says what style of beer do you make that most consitently turns out really good. Also is there a style that is the opposite that seems to never quite come out as good as you think/hope it should.

According to our water tests we should be making Stouts and Porters very well, which we do, however it is the IPA's that for some reason turn out to be absolutely spectacular. Yea we have to adjust our water to brew them, but man, our IPA's are amazing.

My IPAs always come out good, I'm usually let down by my pale ales though. Go figure!

Amber Ale, Oktoberfest, various Brown Ales are my most consistently good beers .....

My stouts and porters are good...... but, they never seem to be quite what I was hoping. Not sure why. Although, I probably don't brew them as often as some other styles and that is likely the reason.

English Bitters here. I've made above average of every style that I have brewed, but the Bitters have been AWESOME!

RO water here.

IPA's, Pale Ales, Hefeweizens are my most brewed and always good. The only beer I've brewed and didnt like was a Pumpkin Ale. It came out fine but to sweet and malty for my taste. Commercial Pumpkins are the same.

American Brown ale, Saison, and American IPA. I'm almost completely happy with my Stout recipe, and after that happens, I probably won't be brewing much outside those four styles.

My IPA's orIIPA's always turn out great I have to brew them often. When I try to make something light for my wife they always seem to be lacking. She drinks them but I always feel like they are lacking. Could be because I drink a lot more therefore I have much more experience brewing what I like!

The only beers that haven't turned out have been wheats and saisons. Consistently, they turn out horrible.

Everyone LOVES my ambers, though. They're consistently good.

I've done some incredible pumpkin ales. When I was making my first batch I wasn't expecting much but all of my PA batches were outstanding.

I also do really nice baltic porters. I've only made 1 bad porter but I pretty much expected it. I called it a triple chocolate porter. I put WAAAY too much chocolate in it. Overpowered it.

I can't seem to get a good IPA done but I can do great IIPAs. Go figure.

I brew solid APA, IPA, Blondes, & Scottish Ales. Haven't really struggled with any styles but I do think hoppy and big beers are generally easier brews than more delicate or smaller brews. Though I haven't been fully happy with the roast character of any porter/stout yet.

I think I'm surprised by my blondes because they're flavorful vs most commercial brewers treating them as a training wheel beer.

We make beer well. The yeast and hops make beer good. Obviously some of us are good at making beer. Some good beers I consistently make well are my blonde ale and my Vienna/Summit SMaSH IPA.

We make beer well. The yeast and hops make beer good. Obviously some of us are good at making beer. Some good beers I consistently make well are my blonde ale and my Vienna/Summit SMaSH IPA.

I used to be a grammar Nazi as well, but I found it to be far too stressful. I realized if I kept getting angry at every little grammar error I'd have an aneurism by the time I'm 30. As long as the intent is understood it's fine. It's not like this is grammar class or anything. We're all here to learn to brew beer good, so CTFO.

Superman-does-good-You-doin-well-Study-your-grammar.png

Actually, I have a method for making beer good. I use Budweiser to boil brats in or to replace the water in pot roast. So there you go. I made a beer good--because it sure isn't good any other way.

I line with the OP: I make great stouts. It is the one style that, no matter how bad things go on brew day, I find the results very drinkable.

PA/APA/IPA's come out consistently well around here,clear & good head.Now if I could just get a better stove. The new burners are burning out the sockets with the higher heat capabilities they have. Gunna be a pain to heat sparge water this time. Ohio spring water def seems to be well suited to pale ales & IPA's. Dark ales as well.

IPA's and DIPA's are solid. But those styles I have spent the most time on since they are my favorite. I did a lager last year with the swamp cooler method, and it was great the first two days of pours. Then it turned on me and you could taste all the temp issues I had with the yeast, not good. The elusive Lager is on my priority list of beers this year since I know have a chest freezer with temp control.

It is almost impossible to screw up a Stout or an IPA if you have any clue, therefor I would say that those come out the most consistent for me. My Dry Hopped Pale Ales are my personal favorite though.

Oktoberfest and Irish Reds. Can't seem to get the IPA's I'm looking for out of my brewing yet.

Kolsch, amber lagers, California commons, and beligans (so far). I haven't had the best results with IPAs or pale ales, although I do love them both. I suspect it's poor recipe formulation on my part. My kolsch and Vienna lager are the ones I'm most proud of.

I seem to have a knack for Belgians and for some reason IPAs. I rarely drink IPAs, but when I brew one I prefer it over comercial examples.

I seem to have a knack for Belgians and for some reason IPAs. I rarely drink IPAs, but when I brew one I prefer it over comercial examples.

IPA's are one of those beers that must be enjoyed FRESH! They almost taste better when they are still green due to the hop aroma fade over time. There are very few commercial IPA's that are as tasty as a homebrewed IPA.

IPA's are one of those beers that must be enjoyed FRESH! They almost taste better when they are still green due to the hop aroma fade over time. There are very few commercial IPA's that are as tasty as a homebrewed IPA.

I agree. There are definitely a few, but it is very difficult for an IPA to get to me super fresh, unless it is something like a Stone Sell By where I buy it the day it arrives at the store. Otherwise, I'm buying a bomber or 6-pack that is at least a few weeks old.

It is almost impossible to screw up a Stout or an IPA if you have any clue, therefor I would say that those come out the most consistent for me.

Honestly, this was the last beer I "mastered." I brewed mediocre - bad IPA's for well over a decade. basically gave up making them for the most part. Would come back now and again to take a shot at one, and make another crappy beer. My other beers were all good - but not my pale ales and IPA's. It was not until I started reading about water that I realized the problem. Got a Wards test, 270 Bicarbonate and water softener was causing all my problems. My beer went from decent/good to great the second I started paying attention to my water, using RO water and mixing it with my regular, hard tap water and mineral additions. IPA's are now some of my very best beers..... it was just the water for over a decade.

Braufessor said:
Honestly, this was the last beer I "mastered." I brewed mediocre - bad IPA's for well over a decade. basically gave up making them for the most part. Would come back now and again to take a shot at one, and make another crappy beer. My other beers were all good - but not my pale ales and IPA's. It was not until I started reading about water that I realized the problem. Got a Wards test, 270 Bicarbonate and water softener was causing all my problems. My beer went from decent/good to great the second I started paying attention to my water, using RO water and mixing it with my regular, hard tap water and mineral additions. IPA's are now some of my very best beers..... it was just the water for over a decade.

Can you tell me more about water, or me in the direction of a thread/website that has a bunch of information about water? I had no idea that water had that much to do with beer. It makes sense though. I'd like to know more!

Can you tell me more about water, or me in the direction of a thread/website that has a bunch of information about water? I had no idea that water had that much to do with beer. It makes sense though. I'd like to know more!

One place to start looking is [ame="http://youtu.be/zJj__jEkFUE"]John Palmer's Youtube video[/ame].

The book Brewing Better Beer has a great section on water as well.

I've had a similar problem in that our water has bicarbonate of 212 and a ph of 8.5. Learning to pay attention to mash ph helped my beers greatly.

Bet you made some awesome stouts with it though!

So far, my chocolate stout & Irish Ale recipes are spot on. I need to move toward the lighter side for the spring and summer.

Sours and IPAs. Honestly I think making a solid-good IPA isn't that difficult- if you buy some nice hops and use a simple malt bill, you can't screw it up. Making a great IPA, however, I think is very difficult.

Bet you made some awesome stouts with it though!

Yes I did!

Water resources - I started, really, with Palmer's book "how to brew" - chapter 15. It is on-line, if you don't have it, but worth buying for sure.

From there, I listened to podcasts:

Brewing Network - Brew strong:
April-may, 2009 - water Parts 1/2/3/4 VERY good!
Feb. 6 2011 hops and water

Basic Brewing Radio - July 12, 2007 water alkalinity

From there, Bru'n Water - water addition program with water/brewing explanation.

Google it and you should easily find all of it, if not, let me know and I can dig up links.

Water can make a huge difference...... especially if you have highly alkaline water.

Latest posts

Back