Galaxy and nelson sauvin hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet. I have both in stock and Im planning a southern hemisphere style IPA using Riwaka as well.

Heres my experience with all three of these NZ/Aussie hops...

Nelson Sauvin - It really does mimic NZ sauv blanc. Big grapefruit zest, a little grass, a lots of tropical fruit notes. Very similar to passionfruit, mango, and maybe even a little pineapple.

Galaxy - Similar to above with the Citrus being just a little more dominant than the tropical fruit, but both are there. Very similar to citra.

Riwaka - Remind me a lot of centennials. Grapefruit and very floral.

heres my planned recipe

70%eff
OG - 1.066
FG - 1.012-013
ABV - 7%
IBU - 69

9# 2-row
2.5# Vienna
1# flaked wheat
.5# melanoidin

1.5oz Riwaka 5.8%AA FWH
.5oz Galaxy 14% 60min
.5oz Nelson 12% 30min
1oz each Galaxy and Nelson KO
.5oz Riwaka KO

ferment with s-04

Dry hop with same hops and amounts as KO addition

The plan for the hop profile is to really feature the tropical fruit notes as well as the citrus, with the riwaka adding a little background floral note. Obviously I havent brewed this yet but Ive brewed similar nelson/citra beers.

This sounds really interesting I might try something similar with the hops. Let me know how it turns out

I just did an imperial saison with a tripel recipe, Wyeast 3711, and Nelson Sauvin & Citra. Dry hopped with both. It is crazy good.

Widmer has a Nelson Imperial IPA out that should give you a good feel for the flavor of NS.

I sampled a DIPA a few days ago at a local brewery. Brewer said they used both Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy, and the Galaxy was mainly for aroma. The nose was quite captivating. a sweet smell--I can best describe it as "pretty"

I really enjoyed this combination in a beer.

First time trying these hops. Just brewed a pale ale with
Fwh .25 Oz each of Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin
15 min .25 oz each Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin
5 min .25 oz each Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin
Flameout .25 oz each Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin
Dryhop 7 days later .50 each Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin

Hopefully turns out fine....OG 1.050 and 39 IBU

I sampled a DIPA a few days ago at a local brewery. Brewer said they used both Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy, and the Galaxy was mainly for aroma. The nose was quite captivating. a sweet smell--I can best describe it as "pretty"

I really enjoyed this combination in a beer.

I've heard the "pretty" description before. What exactly does that mean?

I have used them together. The beer also had Citra. Awesome, they really worked together. I only used the Nelson at Flameout.

I've got a rye ipa fermenting now. blend of galaxy, nelson, and citra for the late additions, with amarillo to bitter.... haven't had a sample yet but will in about a week.

I have a Galaxy Nelson RyePa planned.

I have read elsewhere to use 2-1 Galaxy to Nelson ratio as Nelson is very Potent.

I would go 2:1 Galaxy to Nelson. Nelson as the predominant hop flavor is too much for me but I just can't get enough Galaxy. I only wish I could get my hands on a pound of Galaxy leaf.

Really guys? Go easy on Nelson? Go all Nelson! I've done an all Nelson pale with a total of 10oz for a 5gal batch. Nelson is wonderful. It's incredible & don't be afraid of it. Galaxy is nice and mixes well. Citra is killer and mixes well. Pacific Jade is sort of a weird animal but mixes well.

Apparently I'm late to the party but I'm planning on brewing a Saison this weekend with both of these, bittering with Magnum and fermenting with a combination of WLP566 and East Coast Yeast Dirty Dozen Brett Blend.

Back