Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kranak

Reaction score
Below is the information I received from Wards labs. I've done a bit of reading, and messing with the brun spread sheet. Where I am hitting my head a bit is the chloride. Am I a bit against the wall with having the chloride starting at 100? I know this is a very high starting amount. While outside of sodium everything else is very low. I am finding it hard to come up with good combinations of additions to get a good balance. My two upcoming brews are a maibock and an english bitter. Ph doesn't seem to be my issue so much as getting a my cl/so4 balanced.

Recommendations or guidance would be great.
Thanks
pH 8.1
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 284
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.47
Cations / Anions, me/L 4.0 / 4.2
ppm
Sodium, Na 63
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 18
Magnesium, Mg 4
Total Hardness, CaCO3 62
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.2 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 13
Chloride, Cl 100
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 32
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 27
Total Phosphorus, P 0.60
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

Just getting the Cl and Na down is the issue for most beers. Either one of those at that level might be okay for a sweet or malty beer, but both together might be a little much. Personally I don't consider the cl/so4 balance. If you try to get a balance you are going to end up with salty beer. I think diluting 1:1 with RO will get you where you need to be for most styles. 2 parts tap and 1 part RO would probably be fine for sweet beers. For hoppy styles you might want to go all RO.

The water primer here is good, and if you want a slightly different perspective see this:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/basic-water-chemistry.html

The Na and Cl are a little high, but that water can still be suitable under some conditions. Adding sulfate to that water could create antagonistic flavor effects, so a modest hand should be in control if considering adding sulfate. If a more hoppy style is contemplated and a high sulfate content is desired, then modest dilution might be advisable.

The alkalinity is nice and low which is good for paler styles, but might create problems with low mash pH for darker styles. Do visit the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website if you want usable information for working with that tap water.

Latest posts

Back