Homemade Hazelnut Extract Experimentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremydgreat

Reaction score
Taking a stab at making home made hazelnut extract. Here's what I did:

Took two 8oz mason jars (boiled), and put 1 split and scraped vanilla bean in each. Then I took 16 oz of hazelnuts and split them into two parts. I baked for 9min at 350º. Then I removed them and let them cool for a minute. Then I de-husked them. For one of the piles (8oz) I grated the nuts on a cheese grater. Then I put both piles back in the oven for 9 more minutes. Took them out and put each pile into their separate mason jars with the vanilla bean. Poured vodka to the top. Sealed.

hn1_c52b.jpg

I just used a cheese grater and got each nut down to the point where I couldn't hold it anymore.

hn2_4463.jpg

Unexpected: I couldn't actually fit all the grated nuts in the 8oz jar.

hn3_ee69.jpg

Here's what the finished jars look like. In the cupboard they go.

I'll try and post in a few weeks on the progress!

I did a similar thing this past Saturday. Cracked some roasted hazelnuts with my fist and put them in vodka. I only had about an ounce of nuts though. The hazelnuts are not yet coming through strongly. I'll be interested to hear how your experiment goes.

any word on how this came out? im interested in trying this. does the oil from the nuts dissipate? have you tried this in a beer yet and if so, how was the head retention?

Back