keg timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderm

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a family reunion in june and id like to set up a keg of my own beer at the party. My question is this: How long in advance should I set up the corny keg for serving? I'll be driving there so the keg will be subject to the motions of the car. Is it unrealistic to travel and serve in the same day?
thanks guys

The only thing detrimental to a traveling keg is stirring up any yeasty trub that might be sitting on the bottom. If you cold-crash your fermenter and carefully rack above the sediment to the keg, then force carbonate for a couple of weeks while the keg cold conditions, then draw off a couple of pints, there shouldn't be much of anything left that will cloud the beer when the keg travels with you...

Cheers!

As others will probably suggest, do what day_trippr said but instead of just pulling some pints, after that use a keg jumper cable to go from liquid to liquid and transfer the rest of the beer to a new keg. This prevents all of the trub that is stuck to the bottom of the keg and any on the sides, from coming loose during transport. I have to take 5 kegs of brew for a wedding in june and this is the method I'll be using.

Yeah if you can jumper black to black, it would be best. Just drink a couple first so that you don't transfer the sediment. Just make sure the keg is cold for a week first and don't handle it at all before transfer.

Back