Diacetyl Rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
OK my first lager has been in the primary for 1.5 weeks and I am wondering if I should do a diacetyl rest. Temp has been a constant 53 deg f. Bubbling is about 3 per min. Do these help flavor?

I'd leave it for another week in primary, then raise the temps to 60ish to finish primary before racking to secondary and lagering.
Don't let a time schedule dictate your lagers (or ales for that matter).

It is recommended that when your primary is about 3/4 to terminal expected gravity then you raise the temps to about 60f to do the rest. The rest is done until your brew is at terminal gravity. Then you lager.

I don't go by bubble rate. I use my hydro.

Diacetyl rate makes a NOTICEABLE change to taste. Before diacetyl rest, my lager was undrinkable, after diacetyl rest, it was pretty yummy. 2 months later, still in secondary, it's freakin great!!!

Cool thanks. To be perfectly honest I dont trust my hydrometer. It gave me 1.044 IG after 6lbs of extract, 2lbs of mashed grain(150deg F) and 1lb specialty grain (160f). I had another batch where I added 9lbs of extract and got an OG of 1.054 or so.

SpecialEd said:
Cool thanks. To be perfectly honest I dont trust my hydrometer. It gave me 1.044 IG after 6lbs of extract, 2lbs of mashed grain(150deg F) and 1lb specialty grain (160f). I had another batch where I added 9lbs of extract and got an OG of 1.054 or so.

Test it in some distilled water at its temperture rating. If it reads 1.000, it's perfect.

Back