Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joer189

Reaction score
getting ready for my second 2 bathes of cider from fresh pressed cider, no pasteurization/chemicals. Is open fermentaion in a bucket covered with cloth the only way to go? Since I'm a longtime beer guy I would rather do primary in a carboy without airlock, then go to airlock after racking.

Any thoughts?

I don't know why you couldn't do it any way you wanted. In fact there is no real need for an airlock on beer either, or a cover for that matter. A layer of CO2 forms on top of the liquid keeping oxygenation to a minimum. The only problem is that it doesn't keep dust/pets/bacteria out, so unless you're in a sterile environment I would suggest a covering of some sort. I've always used a carboy and airlock w/my cider. Never had a problem.

well thanks for the prespective, I got the impression that cider needs the O2 initially as compared to beer. Of course it never made sense to me, its just yeast eating sugar right.

Latest posts

Back