Magic Hat clone kit from Austin Homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? It doesn't tell you exactly what is in the kit(atleast I didn't see it) I was going to try and do this recipe on my own but I wonder if the kit is any good or better?

I just cracked mine right before new years. It is my favorite batch I've brewed yet. I highly recommend it! Will definitely be getting this kit again, or replicating it off the ingredients list.

I just cracked mine right before new years. It is my favorite batch I've brewed yet. I highly recommend it! Will definitely be getting this kit again, or replicating it off the ingredients list.

Did it happen to match the taste of a real #9 or was it just a great beer with its own characteristics... Do you have the ingredients list to share, the website doesn't detail them.

People tell us it tastes just like it.

It is a very popular kit.

It just so happens that Magic Hat Brewery is our largest customer.

Forrest

People tell us it tastes just like it.

It is a very popular kit.

It just so happens that Magic Hat Brewery is our largest customer.

Forrest

I thought I would be lucky enough to get a response from you! :ban:
Is it a secret what you have in the kit? And what yeast do you recommend with it?

Well I started discussing with my fiance whether or not he think it matches #9 and how close. We decided we needed a direct comparison so we just got a 12 pack to compare. Will get back to you after the Raven's game with the taste test results. (If I remember)

Well I started discussing with my fiance whether or not he think it matches #9 and how close. We decided we needed a direct comparison so we just got a 12 pack to compare. Will get back to you after the Raven's game with the taste test results. (If I remember)

Don't forget! I have to know! Thanks for doing the research, I know it is hard work! :mug:

Most vendors don't just give out their kit recipes all nilly willy. There are those out there that will just look at the recipe and piece it together from other sources to save a dollar.

Most vendors don't just give out their kit recipes all nilly willy. There are those out there that will just look at the recipe and piece it together from other sources to save a dollar.

I tried to order the stuff and it seemed like it could be more without the kit :). That is why I am going the kit direction

I'd say regular Magic Hat is lighter in body and color. And slightly fruitier in taste than the AHS kit. But they have the same overall palatte. Its not an exact replica but maybe if you work on clearing the beer better and add a little extra apricot extract or preserve it might come closer.

Personally, after having #9 for the first time in a few months I've found it too sweet compared to the kit.

But then again I'm probably just spoiled after having the pleasure of drinking home brew for 2 months solid.

Back