How to rack with an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unkle Danky

Reaction score
I see what looks to be a brett or lactic bacteria infection. It has been in primary for 2 weeks tomorrow and I am going to rack into secondary. Are there any techniques to racking from under an infection? Any tricks or anything? Also I read that you should drink the beer sooner if you had an infection to get it before it gets really bad. Should I just bottle?

I'd get yourself some kind of topical cream first for that awful infection, other than that rack as normal.

I would skip secondary. You're pouring an infection into another vessel, therefore doubling your chances of said infection to spread to other beer.

I would dump it. Of course theif some out (underneath the problem area) and sample, if it tastes ok then bottle it up. But it will most likely taste at least a lil funny.

OK.. How does this change the flavor of the beer. It looks to be just starting, 2 big bubbles. Could the beer end up with no negative affects from the infection?

If you could take pics, we could be better informed. Go ahead and give it a taste and report back, I suppose. Better to have your own perceptions than to read into something that might not be important.

It tastes fine to me right now. Like I said there are only 2 bubbles that look like brett bubbles. They formed in the last 2 days. I will bottle tomorrow. Anyone thats had this how did the beer turn out? I will get some pics in a minute.

Back