Yield of first yeast wash ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
So this is one of five jars I harvested from my first yeast wash. Is this a decent yield? I will do a starter with o2 and a stir plate when I use it but I'm wondering if I should use two jars. Also, if I messed up and infected the harvested yeast what can I look for as a sign of an issue.

image-786785447.jpg

That looks good. As to volume for pitching, it is all dependent on batch size and starting gravity.

Ben58 said:
That looks good. As to volume for pitching, it is all dependent on batch size and starting gravity.

Lets say I wanted to do an iipa with a OG of 1.080 and I used a starter with a stir plate, would that be enough? I guess I'm not sure how to calculate pitch rates with a starter.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch, and what I see in your photo, a 1.5 liter starter should put you in the ball park.

Ben58 said:
Assuming a 5 gallon batch, and what I see in your photo, a 1.5 liter starter should put you in the ball park.

Ya I don't have the capacity to do anything over 5. Thanks for your response!

Lets say I wanted to do an iipa with a OG of 1.080 and I used a starter with a stir plate, would that be enough? I guess I'm not sure how to calculate pitch rates with a starter.

I suggest you use Yeastcalc to assist you in determining how much yeast you need to pitch depending on the volume of your brew and the OG.

You can estimate the volume of yeast you have in that jar by putting same amount of liquid in another like jar and then measuring it.
From the photo it looks like you have done a good job of washing the yeast and it is likely you will have around 3 bn cells per ml of compacted yeast.

So for example if you have 50ml of yeast then you could estimate you have around 50 x 3bn = 150bn cells. Now how many of those cells are viable depends on age since fermentation was completed. Yeastcalc will estimate how many viable cells you have and guide you in what size starter to make.

el_caro said:
I suggest you use Yeastcalc to assist you in determining how much yeast you need to pitch depending on the volume of your brew and the OG.

You can estimate the volume of yeast you have in that jar by putting same amount of liquid in another like jar and then measuring it.
From the photo it looks like you have done a good job of washing the yeast and it is likely you will have around 3 bn cells per ml of compacted yeast.

So for example if you have 50ml of yeast then you could estimate you have around 50 x 3bn = 150bn cells. Now how many of those cells are viable depends on age since fermentation was completed. Yeastcalc will estimate how many viable cells you have and guide you in what size starter to make.

Awesome info thanks!

Back