BIAB Magic Hat # 9 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird77

Reaction score
Hey all,

I want to try out BIAB, so far I have only done a few extract batches. SWMBO wants the next batch to be a #9 clone (I plan on calling it #9.5) so I'm looking for some input on the recipe.

From Magic Hat's website:

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

TYPE: Not Quite Pale Ale
YEAST: English Ale
HOPS: Cascade, Apollo
MALTS: Pale, Crystal
ABV: 5.1
GRAVITY: 11.20 Plato
BITTERNESS: 20
SRM: 9.0

Obviously I know what yeast, hops and grain I need, I'm really looking for more tips on quantities and procedure.

From those who have tried it, how feasible is BIAB in a keggle? I'm in the process of converting mine now, and will have it ready to go by the time I brew #9.5. As of now I am planning a 5 gallon batch.

Every clone I've ever seen includes an apricot flavoring of some sort.

Thanks, I was having a hard time nailing down that unique taste. I also haven't had one in a while, so my recollection of the tasting notes isn't dead-on.

I'll keep posting what I come up with, I know it's much easier to comment on what is good/bad with my recipe rather than start with nothing.

This is going to my next BIAB brew also. The Jamil show clone recipe was
98 % Marris Otter
2 % Crystal 80
hops were Columbus (60Min) as the bittering hop and cascade (30 Min) as per Magic Hat.
Kits call for 3 oz of apricot extract for 5 gal, most have used 3.3 lbs of puree in the secondary. (Magic Hat wouldn't reveal :( )

Haven't listened to the Can You Brew it episode in a few months, but I'm almost positive Magic Hat uses Ringwood as their primary strain.

This is going to my next BIAB brew also. The Jamil show clone recipe was
98 % Marris Otter
2 % Crystal 80
hops were Columbus (60Min) as the bittering hop and cascade (30 Min) as per Magic Hat.
Kits call for 3 oz of apricot extract for 5 gal, most have used 3.3 lbs of puree in the secondary. (Magic Hat wouldn't reveal :( )

Thank You! I started listening to the show twice and didn't make it to the end, and I think because I have an outdated version of Quicktime I couldn't skip ahead.

Here's what I have:
Magic Hat #9 ::: 1.048/1.015 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill (72% Efficiency assumed)
10 lbs. - American 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
3 lbs. - Oregon Fruit Puree - Apricot
Hop Schedule (20 IBU)
.25 oz. - Columbus [14%] (60 min.)
1 oz. - Cascade [5.5%] (10 min.)
1 oz. - Cascade [5.5%] (3 min.)
Yeast
1L starter of White Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP002)
Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 152° to 154° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool, Oxygenate, and ferment at 68° (make sure you control your temp!)

Here's what I have:
Magic Hat #9 ::: 1.048/1.015 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill (72% Efficiency assumed)
10 lbs. - American 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
3 lbs. - Oregon Fruit Puree - Apricot
Hop Schedule (20 IBU)
.25 oz. - Columbus [14%] (60 min.)
1 oz. - Cascade [5.5%] (10 min.)
1 oz. - Cascade [5.5%] (3 min.)
Yeast
1L starter of White Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP002)
Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 152° to 154° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool, Oxygenate, and ferment at 68° (make sure you control your temp!)

Thanks! Do you secondary on the fruit or biol it?

Since the fruit puree is canned it had to have been pasteurized in that process. I would just secondary right on it, being careful to be sanitary when I did so.

Latest posts

Back