SS braid vs CPVC manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone0n74

Reaction score
OK, I have decided to take the plunge and jump into all-grain brewing. I have 2 old coolers that I have decided to convert to a Mash/Lauter Tun and HLT. I plan to fly sparge. My question is this: Is there any benefit of building a CPVC manifold for the drain on the Mash Tun, or should I go with the much easier SS braid? If it makes any difference, I have a rectangular cooler, not a round one.

Personally I have tried both CPVC manifold and SS thingy. I MUCH prefer the SS braid. I find it much much easier to deal with overall. Just my stupid humble opinion though.

A manifold will likely drain the majority of the Tun on its own. A ss braid requires me to tilt the Tun to get the last bit of runnings. I have a braid, my friend has a manifold...I am looking to switch the the manifold eventually because I like his Tun better.

Both will work.

So I have used the braid but went for a manifold after a few brews and love it. I get every drop pretty much out of my mash tun (iglu cube cooler). There is literally less than an ounce left after draining according to my dry run tests but have been using it for like 35 batches with no problems.... And it only cost like $8-$10 to make the whole manifold and sparge assembly.

I would personally recommend the manifold. It will create a more even flow over the entire grain bed, especially if you will be fly sparing. It is more a pain to clean but not really.

CVPC manifolds are so easy to make, I don't see why you wouldn't do it. You'll get more even flow, and depending on the cooler, less wort loss.

OK, thanks for all the great input. After reading them all, I think I'm going to go ahead and make a manifold. I've got a dremel, so I'll be using that instead of a hacksaw to make my slits. Should be a fun little art project :)

why chose?
I use both. 3/4 CPVC rings over a stainless steel braid.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am building something similar when I get home but the other way around. I will have my SS braid with a piece of copper piping with slits in it running through that.

I figured that was going to be the easiest way to attach it to the tap to get the goodness out.

For fly sparging, the advantage of the manifold is that you can design it specifically to drain uniformly. That will help with your efficiency.

I am building something similar when I get home but the other way around. I will have my SS braid with a piece of copper piping with slits in it running through that.

Be careful, sometimes overthinking can be a detriment. Sometimes putting something inside a braid can reduce flow and lead to problems...I come from the simple is best school. For batch sparging all you need IMHO is a straight length of braid 6-8 inches long.

Be careful, sometimes overthinking can be a detriment. Sometimes putting something inside a braid can reduce flow and lead to problems...I come from the simple is best school. For batch sparging all you need IMHO is a straight length of braid 6-8 inches long.

I agree with the KISS principle as well but I have always had the issue with my braid where I believe the grain is crushing it reducing the flow. So I figured if I cut a eff load of slits in it to help keep as much flow as possible happening but also keeping the braid from being crushed. Any ideas there would be helpful if the copper piping is going to be to restrictive

At some point I would like to go for a full manifold but that will probably be for my larger mash tun build as this one is only for me to practice All Grain on until I get better at it.

Never-mind a quick change of mind when I tried to put the copper pipe inside it just wouldn't fit. Any way I have decided to use the copper for another project, maybe a manifold for my larger system or even think about incorporating into a wort chiller of some description.

I do like the braid with CPVC chunks for anti-crush support.

Elevates the braid a bit, though. Do you find it increases your tun deadspace measurably?

Back