Back sweetening and clarifying.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I just back sweetened a peach melomel for the first time today. I have 3 more melomels to back sweeten soon. Obviously the mead turned cloudy after adding the honey. So, my question is how long, on average does it take for the mead to clear up again after adding honey? Also, how many of you use clarifiers for clearing out the meads after back sweetening?

I just back sweetened a peach melomel for the first time today. I have 3 more melomels to back sweeten soon. Obviously the mead turned cloudy after adding the honey. So, my question is how long, on average does it take for the mead to clear up again after adding honey? Also, how many of you use clarifiers for clearing out the meads after back sweetening?

I stabilize and backsweeten my meads when fermentation is over. And only clarify after. This way its ages better and flavors blend in, and its clear after treatment with Sparkolloid or Bentonite

Same as above for me but to provide better clarification:

I stabalize and backsweeten, THEN after letting it sit for a month do I hit it up with sparkloid to clarify. This way you can be sure that the flavors are integrated in fine. I suppose if you were looking for a lesser timeframe a week should be suficient. I would not do it sooner.

Matrix

Back