Can you use a coffee grinder to mill grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I've been told that you can, I'm only going to be brewing with speciality grain so I don't have a lot to mill and I'm patient. What are some tips and techniques to using a coffee grinder for this?

Eh...I'd personally avoid coffee grinders, since they tend to pulverize anything and everything in their path.

Per a previous post on milling that I read, just take a standard rolling pin, 2 sheets of wax paper (1 on top, 1 on bottom), and gently crush until you get a decent consistency of crushed grain vs. hulls. Too many crushed hulls would result in heavier tannins in the final brew.

:mug:

I was thinking the same thing,but you want them cracked not pureed.

well... its probably not great, but for partial mashes since I'm still brewing with plain dried extract I will just use my small starbucks blade grinder and pulse my grains. Takes about 1-2 minutes to get 2-3 pounds of grain into my very-fine straining bag. I'd say 1/4 is pulverized, 1/2 is cracked just right, and 1/4 is barely cracked or intact. Anyway since its a partial i'm really going for increased and robust flavor not so much high effeciency fermentables. I've been really pleased with the results. I don't find much if any tannin flavor leeches out during the partial mash and its been very handy for me personally. The key is the very-fine straining bag so almost no particulate matter enters the wort during boiling afterwards.

It's certainly not optimal, but I live in a small apartment and I can't have more beer equipment like a grinder right now. I will just make do for now. Someday i'll have lots of room and a man area that won't disturb the significant other as much as it already does.

Coffee grinders are designed to do very small batches......1-2 oz. of beans at a crack, tops. The directions that came with our very nice quality burr coffee mill (Baratza Maestro) specifically enjoin against grinding continuously for more than a few minutes without allowing the machine too cool off a while. My conclusion would be that milling grain in a coffee mill -even a pound of specialty grains- is just asking to burn out a perfectly good coffee mill for no good reason.

I mill all my grain in a very inexpensive Corona-type mill, bought off eBay for less than $25 delivered. To take out the hand labor, I just adapted an electric drill to it with a $ 0.25 hardware store bolt.

I always have small amounts of specialty grains that I can't get at my LHBS at home that I order from NB or William' Brewing. I use a mortar and pestle to crush them. I end up with a variety of sizes of crushed grains, but most importantly the hulls are still intact. It's not ideal, but it works for a quarter or a half pound here and there. Plus, I already have it.

Coffee grinder just turns whole grain to cut up grain, including the hulls.

Just my experience.

how about the "Magic Bullet"? i have one but have not tried it with doing whole grain.

Has anyone tried it?

not big into all grain, personally, yet. but thinking about switching.

odering a kit from NB this week.

Back